Prop Tape?

jonnorton

The Top80 1400 I have came with the carbon prop taped, I can see the advantages of this but have read elsewhere that the tape will reduce the thrust. I bought the 1400 to get the extra thrust but wonder if by having the prop taped I am reducing it down to what I would have got from the 1250 anyway.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jon

• 2 years later...

I would be grateful for people's thoughts on prop tape and whether it does effect thrust. I found that my carbon props are showing some serious wear on the leading edge. There are tiny holes all along the length of the blades and at the tip of one of them there is a split. I know i have had no dinks or collisions at all with this prop in its 40hr life so I am guessing that the split developed from one of the small holes which allowed air in, causing damage at high speed.

Fortunately I have a spare prop set to use for now while I get the split repaired, but the question is whether I should put prop tape on or not? Does the effect on performance outweigh the benefit of longer prop life?

Simon, do you still do carbon prop repairs? It's only a small crack that has developed!

I would be grateful for people's thoughts on prop tape and whether it does effect thrust. I found that my carbon props are showing some serious wear on the leading edge. There are tiny holes all along the length of the blades and at the tip of one of them there is a split. I know i have had no dinks or collisions at all with this prop in its 40hr life so I am guessing that the split developed from one of the small holes which allowed air in, causing damage at high speed.

Fortunately I have a spare prop set to use for now while I get the split repaired, but the question is whether I should put prop tape on or not? Does the effect on performance outweigh the benefit of longer prop life?

Simon, do you still do carbon prop repairs? It's only a small crack that has developed!

As long as you get it on smooth and equal amounts on each side to keep the balance then any loss in thrust would be very very minimal.

I did not notice any difference when I had it on one of mine.

The clear, protective tape used for this purpose is also referred to as 'helicopter tape'. It is used on the leading edges of rotor blades. The implication is that whatever it costs in thrust reduction is outweighed by the benefits in blade longevity. If it works for a helicopter (100% thrust dependent) it could reasonably be expected to work for a paramotor.

All this despite the fact that helicopters can't actually fly - they are simply so ugly that the earth repels them :lol:

Pete.

Thanks for the link and the advice. I will put tape on the prop I am using now, and on the other one when it is repaired. I will check with a friendly helicopter pilot first to see if I can borrow some for free though, as at £30 a roll it is quite expensive.

Had a great flight today though was unnerved to find almost nil wind at ground level and such strong winds at 600 ft I was struggling to make decent progress even with trims out + speed bar. Fortunately there was no turbulence, so not too bad.