cheap ground handling wing

malc

You dont wanna get anyhthing too old or tricky as if you find it hard to launch or control then you will loose confidence and think twice about the sport.

When you say launch, I assume you mean inflate, as you are obviously not going to launch with a ground handling wing.

I disagree with the advice not to get anything too old or tricky, my feeling is that beginner wings are so self stabilising, and forgiving of input errors that you will very quickly master ground handling with one of these wings, but an older higher performance wing will be more responsive and less forgiving and you will learn more from ground handling it. You may find it frustrating at first but then you will reap the benefit when you buy your first beginner wing.

Paul D

six of one half a dozen of the other!!!

Any wing will do you good for ground handling as long as you know if you buy a more advanced wing it will be harder to learn on but will make you better in the long run but a novice wing will be easy at the start but it will still do you good.. :lol:

You dont wanna get anyhthing too old or tricky as if you find it hard to launch or control then you will loose confidence and think twice about the sport.

When you say launch, I assume you mean inflate, as you are obviously not going to launch with a ground handling wing.

I disagree with the advice not to get anything too old or tricky, my feeling is that beginner wings are so self stabilising, and forgiving of input errors that you will very quickly master ground handling with one of these wings, but an older higher performance wing will be more responsive and less forgiving and you will learn more from ground handling it. You may find it frustrating at first but then you will reap the benefit when you buy your first beginner wing.

Paul D

Of course, it is only for ground handling?

And as you say, they may find it frustrating at first but some people give up quicker than others. Ultimately i guess it is part of the learning curve and in the end the practice makes perfect.

Buying a 'cheap' ground handling wing is a waste of time in my opinion- buy a proper wing, you'll need one eventually. I've known people to buy 'cheap' wings before, and the characteristics and feel of them is totally different from their new Revolution, or Action.... You're better training and getting familiar with the wing your going to use.... Why are you worried about using your real wing? scared of getting it wet? When you're flying for real, this is going to happen anyway.... as long as you look after the wing right, it will last you for atleast 400 hours.....

I ground handled my Action 27 - still flying with it... 300 hours later...

GD

I tend to agree with Gordon, if you have the funds to buy a wing you will fly then do your ground handling on that, thats what i did,that way you already familiar with the "feel" of it once it comes to your flying.

However if you dont have the money there is nothing wrong with a cheap wing as long as its not a total wreck, an old wing that is dificult to inflate will probably just cause you to become frustrated.

if you do buy a secondhand wing for ground handling only, make sure its a DHV1 or DHV1/2, I have flown a DHV 1/2 and ground handled a DHV2 wing and they are noticeably differant, the DHV2 feeling much more "slippery" overhead.

I agree about the handling of different wings but i would not want to buy a new wing and take it to my local field thats all muddy and drag my new wing along the ground. if i was learning i would buy a £200 wing and drag it in the mud and not have to worry about cleaning it!!!!

Thanks,

plenty to think about with all the replies.

I have considered new.

As a novice, at 80kg could you advise a brand or type (I know its subjective)

are they all reflex? what does reflex mean?

It would only be for powered flight.

I agree about the handling of different wings but i would not want to buy a new wing and take it to my local field thats all muddy and drag my new wing along the ground. if i was learning i would buy a £200 wing and drag it in the mud and not have to worry about cleaning it!!!!

you dont have to buy new or spend a fortune to get a good flyable wing, infact theres a couple of good wings on ebay at the moment.

Thanks,

plenty to think about with all the replies.

I have considered new.

As a novice, at 80kg could you advise a brand or type (I know its subjective)

are they all reflex? what does reflex mean?

It would only be for powered flight.

if you are buying a wing to fly you need to get one that covers your eventual all up wieght, this will include you, your motor, flying kit, fuel AND the wieght of the wing, look to be nearer the top end of the wieght range of your wing, being a little over is not too bad, but anymore than 20kg over is not desirable.

not all wings are reflex, for a description of reflex look here:

http://paraglidershop.co.uk/paramotorpa ... reflex.htm