Full kit

Max

Hello,

I've been lurking for abit now and im looking for all the gear as cheap as poss, 90kg. I would be looking at the paramotor, wing and harness. Anything from old kit to relatively new kit so lets say £500-£1500.

Thanks Max

I think that even £1500 would be very optimistic for a complete set up. If you managed to pick up a wing for about £500, which would be do-able, but that would then only leave you a grand for motor and odds and sods which isn't a lot. If you DID manage to get it all together on that budget, I'd get someone with a lot of experience to go over it all with a fine tooth comb for any problems.

I don't want to put you off, but I wouldn't want you to dive after the cheapest gear you could get, and then suffer the consequences of having to buy again, or potentially, even worse.

I always be weary when someone comes to me with a budget- especially such an optimistic one-- without any consideration for training. What value do you put on your life? The car comparison is a good one.... but if a motor stops in the air, and you havent trained for engine outs... then you are in serious trouble.....

In order of importance-

Get a training plan organised

Try out your schools gear- get familiar

Then buy your own

Buy a new wing if possible- don't trust peoples word- (genuine one careful owner, etc....)

Only buy from a trusted reputable source.

Note- wings have a finite life..... the better they are cared for, the longer they will last.... but even a good wing 400 to 500 hours in total, if it has been regulary checked.

Also just to add to Gordons post, if you do get a second hand wing get it checked out with a place called the Loft or other reputable place and ask for a porosity test. Also check the certification label on the end or centre of the wing that should give you the year of manufacture etc.

Good hunting

Mike

Even if you do get it passed by 'the loft' or an equivalent certified wing service centre..... At this price you are almost certainly not going to get a modern reflex wing..... With the modern wings, there is an inbuilt increased safety factor- better performance and handling characteristics, resistance to collapse, etc... It scares the c**p out of me when a fresh faced novice turns up with a wing that i've never heard of before..... last seen daylight 15 years ago.... no trimmers... Do youself a favour and buy a new Paramania or Dudek..

i went down the budget route and it can cost three times more in the end , you might be better gettin some more money and buy off an instructor, if you cant get the money and are going ahead i would consider finance, when i first started i made a decision within an hour i didnt know nothin at all about the sport and i went on ebay and i was bidding, but because of my budget i picked the cheapest, it was an old ancient thing which i had to get rebuilt and it still was no good. the wing was ten years ld and that was no good either so i bought another wing second hand, then i was told it was no good, after aprox eight months of buying junk anfter junk i finally learned plenty enough to get what i wanted, it was an expensive education , i would spend money on books and do lots of reading learn as much as you can and decide in six month what you want , this way you are more educated and will make a far better decision it will also be cheaper in the long run , safety has been covered earlier by people so no need repeating it

I have budgeted for training outside this, i know that it isn't a-lot i wouldn't be looking at any amazing just something for nipping around the local area. Maybe in the summer up for a couple of hours a week and in the winter probably around 3 hours a month. I wouldn't be looking at this one for long just a year or two and then i would upgrade to a better one and possibly a trike.

Thanks Max

licence is needed for trike , it dont really matter if you use it one hour a year the point is if you dont know what you are looking for then it could become very dangerous, seriously do your training and get advise off your instructor, even tho there is no licence needed, there is a lot that you need to know

Max-- for paramotoring a couple of hours a week is actually a lot of flying....

After 3 years of flying i've only accumulated 280 hours i total.... Last year was the first year i did more than 100.....

With the weather in this country you'll be lucky to average 2 hours per week-- you still need good gear though.....