PMC Instructor Course

norman

question? what is the motive behind this? money? or it looks that way nothin wrong with tryin to make a few quid tho?

now i know people will come back to justify that they aint in it for the money but dent and axby aint doing it for free are they?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think we all got money issues i always will have till i win that lottery , spoke to a few people about these courses and as far as i have been informed bhpa offer lots of different courses far cheaper , doubt they would be in spain but i cant see why that would matter, so i dont know what money issues have or have not, got to do with somethin that is what seems to be expensive,

i dont have money issues i have issues with were my money goes buddy and what do i get for it

That's cool leoibb. Enjoy -

now i know people will come back to justify that they aint in it for the money but dent and axby aint doing it for free are they?

No they ain't leoibb, they do this for a living. If you take the time to read the words and do the sums you might find that we have cut the costs to the bone. Wherever you go you need to sleep and eat, three squares + wine a day don't come for nuthin' matey.

There are very few people who are well healed and altruistic enough to be able to 'do it for free'. Sorry, but that's life. :roll:

think we all got money issues i always will have till i win that lottery , spoke to a few people about these courses and as far as i have been informed bhpa offer lots of different courses far cheaper , doubt they would be in spain but i cant see why that would matter, so i dont know what money issues have or have not, got to do with somethin that is what seems to be expensive,

i dont have money issues i have issues with were my money goes buddy and what do i get for it

I agree with you I wont pay the prices some people want for things even though they may be worth that much to them.

I will however spend money on something I think is value for money and is something that is of value to myself no matter how much it is.

I think you may have been misinformed about the BHPA course it is 9 days costs £1199 . This does not include food and accommodation.

So the PMC course does not cost as much.

Pete b

Lee, not to worry.

I did place the information in this thread under 'comparison' so that you could do just that. Accommodation is going to be an issue with any venue of course unless you live within commuting distance. Our is include in the price - the BHPA's is not so the figures initially look similar.

Please read carefully and you will realise that the PMC training course is very good value for money.

From the BHPA bullitin

The course is intended to equip candidates to the level where they are

ready to be examined as a special category of BHPA Senior Instructor.

(Individual Instructor examinations will need to be organised after the

course, as required.)

Please also note that, as previously advised,

prerequisites are to attend a BHPA Coach Course,

hold a BHPA

Paraglider (Power) Pilot rating (previously known as SPHG ’full’),

have

100 hours powered paraglider time logged

and hold a valid First Aid

certificate.

Pete b

Norman, has the instruction set up given any thought in staging some navigation courses? as its a relevant subject maybe someone could hold something like a day course, maybe a morning of "classroom"instruction with a couple of navigation excercises in the afternoon, weather permiting of course.

Yes Outcast, we have. We have a series of pilot development courses both in the UK and France designed to develop post solo skills. They are at a conceptual stage at the moment as we are pretty busy getting the Instructors and Ab-Initio course in France launched properly.

We have produced a raft of ideas that should be really quite exciting, as always it is the implementation and execution that take the energy.

Hope that helps.

I have just had them made out here in Singapore, they look great! Instructors will be issued with this certificate to mark the occasion, entered onto a roll and issued with a numbered stamp to mark their signature. It is of course what sits behind the paper and the badges that matters isn't it? :lol:

As for the other courses, yes I think so. A certificate that outlines the nature of the achievement or training for those who might be interested in it.

Our first course for Piers in France is full, as is his group of ab-initio and early solo pilots for the instructor candidates to work with.

Paul Haxby is coming out for the ab-initio week on the 22nd March to examine our instructor candidates. He may have capacity to train a couple of extra absolute beginners or anyone who is up for post solo coaching. If you are interested please contact Piers soonest on piers @ugo2 fly. com (remove the gaps in the address - anti spam measure).

Edit: Piers email corrected.

Edited by Guest

just wonderin really about the course offered. how does it stack up to the bhpa ones, i ask this because some people are very keen and speak highly of the bhpa but there is reasons why paul and piers aint taking that route and i am wonderin why this is? i dont think it would be a cost reason is there more to it? is bhpa over rated?

I think in any evolving sport that has no central guiding organization you will find conflict and differences in philosophy. The BHPA has been running for may years and built a considerable infrastructure with members and managers of dedication to the sport and their organization. The latter part of that last sentence may identify the crux of many peoples issues with the BHPA. From what I have heard they have a history when it comes to looking after the interests of their senior and established members. That really is as much as I know.

As for Piers and Paul it would be better if you spoke to them to garner their view. Neither of them are avid forum users, in fact they both avoid them for the usual reasons. What I can tell you is my general impression of their stance, and that is that they are both very independent in their views and would prefer to see at least two organizations in the field. This would provide balance and an element of competition to the benefit of those who participate in our sport. I support that view as it keeps scene competitively healthy and drives up standards.

I am a little different in that I think there should be a central organization running PPG. The CAA are really too busy focusing on their primary role and just do not have either the resources or expertise to get involved. Nothing new here, gliding and other fringe activities were farmed out years ago to properly administered and qualified interest groups who grew them into the organizations you see in place now. At the minimum I think we need a PPG centric group running the sport here, the last thing that we need are people with low interest and motor-motivation holding the reigns.

I think the BHPA will end up running paramotoring in the UK at he direction of the CAA but probably directed by EASA. If they handle it well then it will obviously be a good thing for the direction of the sport generally. If they pursue a PG focus and retain control of PPG for its future and the commercial benefits it might bring, then I think they may have a fight on their hands convincing the community they are suitable to do the job.

I think ultimately they will do the right thing, we (Independent PPG pilots) may need to become involved in the process if it comes to that to ensure we make our views heard and interests at least carefully considered. I am sure everyone wants to see a healthy and friendly banter running across the airsport scene - but speaking personally here, I loath the politics that can develop along with the acidic exchanges that only divide where what is desperately needed is unity.

Thanks for the posts guys.

I would like to bring in a side subject to all this. If another Organization comes to fruit (good thing since the BMAA dropped PPG) then could this Organisation be Pro active in getting Trikes or Quads de-regulated as in the USA.

Many of us are getting older and the knees will start failing.

Going down the micro-lite traing scheme is both very expensive. And I believe, hardly any training organisations in the UK has Trikes and Paragliders to train with that we could easily apply ourselves too.

Various people (un-named) have shown dis-interest in this course. We will all be old one day and getting this sorted now will pay dividends as we mature.

So what are the de-reg thoughts on this?

Cheers

Mikey

Reference: Trainee Pilot for ab-initio slot for France.

We have a single slot come vacant due to work commitments. If anyone would like to come for a week of intense flying instruction and socializing then please get in touch with Piers on the email address given above. Leaving around the 21st via rod transport or if arriving through Poitiers by air later, to be in the accommodation at Airvault ideally by p.m. of the 21nd March. Back home on the 28th.

Well I am good to go - my glasses just arrived in the post, so what more do I need?!

I have read and re-read "From The Ground Up", have taken onboard the many bits of advice that experienced people have been kind enough to give to me and I am now just ticking off the days until 21st March. I can't remember the last time I was this excited, nervous and so looking forward to something all at once (well I can, but my wedding was 23 years ago, so the memory fades a little!).

Even my work colleagues from around the globe are peppering me with requests to keep them updated to my progress, so I've opened up a blog (http://paratraining.blogspot.com) and my intention is to update it each evening with, hopefully, some photos being added via Photo Bucket.

I really consider myself extremely lucky to have got a place on the course and don't intend to look this particular gift horse in the mouth. I think there is going to be so much good experience collected together in Airvault, that it is going to be impossible not to learn and pick up positive habits over the week.

Can't wait...!

Just like Neil I'm ready to go, at the moment it is the only topic of conversation in our house both with the family and anybody else how dares to enter, the week before we go to France, Sandra (Wife) and I are going to cruise from Inverness to Fort William but that never gets a mention now its just France France France, and even though she is not going Sandra seems to be as keen as me.

Its getting just like the lead up to Christmas when the children were at home, we are now counting how many sleeps to go before the day.

I am very excited about the amount of knowledge that will be gathered together in France, and the opportunity of spending some time talking and listening to people with bucket loads of experience, for an ab-initio pilot it will be massive, and we will have a lot more to bore our families with when we get back a well.

Looking forward to good weather, good flying and good company.

David