Winter motoring on the continent

With a bleak outlook for flying over the next few weeks I've been wondering if people ever go over to the continent this time of year to get a long weekend fix of motoring during the winter months.

I've done mostly hill flying where the possibilities of a quick long weekend flying fix in the alps / s. spain, tenerife etc etc are endless 12 months of the year.

I realise that you are pretty much tied to car travel with the motor which limits the scope but mid / south france isn't that far away once you're over the channel.

Is this something that people do? If so I'd be interested in possible driveable destinations / suggestions. I know of at least one place where you can fly in and hire motor / kit, but I'm specifically talking about driving and taking my own gear.

I guess the main aim meteorologically is to get yourself more south and into the middle of a land mass where the weather is generally more stable and then you could do a weather check immediately prior to departure and re-schedule if necesary.

Or is it more in the motorists nature to wait out the british winter and fly in any windows which appear during our winter.

I guess the main aim meteorologically is to get yourself more south and into the middle of a land mass where the weather is generally more stable and then you could do a weather check immediately prior to departure and re-schedule if necesary

ArcusFlyer,

I am resident in the middle of France and fly whenever the wind is low. This tends to be when the periods of high pressure come over. For example I have flown on 13th, 19th, 29th of November, 8th, 12th, 21st, 30th of December, and the 5th and 11th of this month.

Check out http://www.meteociel.com/getprevi.php?code=12828 for the forcast where I am, or enter in a village near to where you are interested in.

Hope this helps. You would be very welcome to fly from the local ULM field that I use. Every pilot I have met over here is very friendly.

Cheers,

Alan