Skycar flying car expedition

Thought we needed a proper searchable thread on this event, the official site is:

http://skycarexpedition.com/ with info also on http://parajet.com/

Simon has invited Paramotorclub members to Dunsfold on Weds to see the take off (see THIS thread)

Weather is looking good so far, fingers crossed 8)

Latest pics are below, with a new BBC video clip >>>here<<<

skycartest01.jpg

skycartest03.jpg

5923d2cab3.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're limiting who can see this footage :cry:

Been getting "This content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later" all day.

Edit: seems the office didn't want me goofing off at work... filters and all that.

Short clip, I look forward to seeing more of it.

Bonus: driving a quad when landing off camber (beach footage @ 0:48 ).

Edited by Guest

i know it is real what i was meanin is what is the purpose of this ride drive fly what there doing? wouldnt be so bad if the buggy was a car and useable to the normal people. is this not possible with any motor stick a big enough fan on the back with a big enough wing couple of tweaks here and there and ya got the same thing. so i cant see the thrill with it myself.

Looks like they're limiting who can see this footage :cry:

Been getting "This content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later" all day.

Edit: seems the office didn't want me goofing off at work... filters and all that.

Short clip, I look forward to seeing more of it.

Bonus: driving a quad when landing off camber (beach footage @ 0:48).

Try this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7826330.stm

It's an adventure, it's fun, its mixing driving and flying while promoting what looks like a really cool product launch.

The Parajet Skycar is the first, two seater, high performance, road legal, bio-fuelled flying car; capable of providing rally car performance on and off road, and light aircraft performance after just a few minutes of wing preparation.

What more do you want ?

i see what i am wonderin is what is the purpose? is it advertisin it or charity or just they are bored?

What is the purpose of flying paramotors you take off and land in the same place.

What is the purpose of drinking beer you just pee it out next day.

What is the purpose of eating nuts they don't digest they just go through you.

What is the purpose of living if you do not have kids to carry on the human race.

What is the purpose of?????

Pete b

There is quite an impressive list of sponsors for this expedition including Ethanol Ventures, Future Capital Partners and C. Hoare & Co ( the bank) to name but a few. They are raising money for a charity called Alive and Kicking which makes leather footballs, volleyballs and netballs in disadvantaged areas of Africa. The charity create employment and all the balls carry a HIV/AIDS, malaria or TB message. They also come with preventive health materials so that teachers and coaches can use sport to tell youngsters about health risks. The balls are repairable, affordable and bring fun into the lives of poor children in communities across Africa.

Aside from that worthwhile cause I believe they are out to simply have an adventure - boys with a toy!!

ok so they just doin it for fun ok i didnt know if it was for advertisin purposes or other? that was all

I think it's a mixture of things;

- Obviously it is for charity, giving the tools etc needed for locals to produce leather footballs etc (very worthy cause).

- Then there is the whole 'fun' and 'because we can' element (you can't really do the latter without justifying with the former).

- Then more interesting to me, is the fact it is bio-fuelled and has a zero carbon footprint (other than the ground support tagging along, but the flying car itself is carbon neutral).

- Also, as I have had a good 10 or so people ask me directly about the sport (after hearing me for months go on about paramotoring), or overhearing talk about that funny flying car on the tv...it has done a lot for exposing/advertising our sport in a good light.

Although, I did hear Chris Evans saying how anyone can go buy the kit and start flying (which I feel was a tad irresponsible, even though true).

Ben

The Skycar has a very limited Certificate of Airworthiness.

Frankly the team did well to get the thing in place in the short time frame they gave themselves. The CAA has given them a limited number of flying hours to play with and imposed significant restrictions on the (type and location of the) flying they may perform with the machine.

Remember, this is a new category of aircraft and it is leaving UK airspace very early in its life. This is a very brave move by the CAA and a progressive one, they should be complimented for their flexibility imho.