Wire free helmet

Phil_P

I'm seriously thinking about using a pair of Bluetooth devices to give me wireless audio to my helmet, and also a wireless system to illuminate warning lights in my field of vision for temperature and fuel over or under limits (and any other warnings that might get added later like TCAS :twisted: ).

My reason for this is that I find the trailing wires a pain in the neck (almost literally), and I want to try and rig my harness with reserve, flight deck etc. in such a way as I can get in and out of the harness by simply undoing the three harness clips, as opposed to having to disconnect and unhook my reserve & various wires from in front of me. The warning lights would also ensure that I was instantly aware of problems, rather than currently depending on looking at the instruments at the right moment, or being very vigilant. This would hopefully mean more time spent looking around and enjoying myself, as well as improved 'see and avoid'.

Apart from the technophobes, has anyone got any thoughts on this, either for or against, as it's usually easier to problem solve at the planning stage.

Hmmmm, there is obviously nothing out there that handles all of that, so would need to be a custom job or complete hack about with existing elements that are available (and thats not even thinking about controling fuel level indicatots etc).

Personally, I'd think about making all these cables more manageable instead (it will be cheaper and more practical). Everything feeds/plugs into a single management box with then has just one cable going up to your headset.

Thought about throat mikes Phil?

I have thought about them in the past Norman, but reports that I have seen have been less than favourable in terms of audio quality. Perhaps you know of some good quality ones that would be suitable? That said, I am also thinking of the Micro Avionics headset being part of the configuration, and as I understand it, the mic has got good audio anyway.

Personally, I'd think about making all these cables more manageable instead (it will be cheaper and more practical). Everything feeds/plugs into a single management box with then has just one cable going up to your headset.

This is also something I've thought about Ben, the only down side is, that depending on the various warnings you might want to incorporate, you could end up with quite a hefty umbilical.

To be honest, I think the major contribution to easy entrance/exit will be figuring out a reserve side mount. It's a pity that the reserve bridle routing on my harness runs down the right side, as I'd have preferred to mount the reserve on the left to help counter torque a little.

I'd be tempted to think hard around what you actually need on the warning side. It is really easy to create gadget heaven with these things for the sake of it. The fuel quantity question is a classic example - a mirror does the job so well.

Two stroke motors tend to either work or not, engine condition instruments are probably a bit of a waste of time imho. Fuel flow might be interesting but then it isn't going to chanage much and the mirror answers questions about fuel usage very well doesn't it? Simple is best imho

Hi Phil,

I have had some experience of throat mikes. I tested them for suitability on a snowmobile expedition I was organising last year and the audio quality was chrystal clear, even with the sound of a snowmobile. ( we were using very noisy 2 strokes)

I needed VHF radio comms between support riders and teams on the expedition from both handheld radios and mobile radios hard mounted on the support snowmobiles. They are very noisy bits of kit and initially I specified motorcycle helmet comms kits but they weren't great and the microphones kept freezing up even tucked in the chin guard of a full face helmet. The earphones were of the D type which clipped over your ear but they weren't very comfortable under a helmet so the next step was earbuds. Still had wires though although I did have discussions about creating wireless links for the support drivers with my comms guy.

My comms equipment supplier sourced the kit for me, but i dont have info on it to hand. I will get some details on the gear and come back to you.

Cheers Duncan

Hi Phil,

The company we got the throatmikes from was Talking Headsets. The throat mike was basically like this one but without the PTT button incorporated.... http://www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/swatco ... ed_ptt.php

Still had to use cables as I was assessing and testing kit for suitability in the low temperatures but we were looking at setting up wireless systems to link to VHF radios, phones and helmets.

I have a couple of sets down south I could have sent to you if you want to see what you think. They are wired I am afraid to D type earpiece and PTT button and plugs at the moment suit Icom VHF hand helds but i am sure you could get an adaptor made.

Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get my comms supplier to stick them in the post to you.

Cheers Duncan