Counting down the days (In Surrey)

Hi All,

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I'm Steve and I live near Epsom in Surrey and I've now started down my countdown to a paramotoring course I have booked with SkySchool for 28th of March - in Spain.

I used to fly a hang glider about 10 years ago when I was 18...and after so long not doing anything, and so many dreams of flying, this is the year I get airborne again!

But...It's funny how the days seem to be getting longer the nearer I get!! What's not so funny is how I realise I'm going to be stretching the purse strings the nearer I get too...but oh well. Where there's a will...

I might be posting in here to get more information where I get more questions, as I will be looking to buy the kit either through Skyschool or shortly thereafter.

So...82 days to go...(81 as of tomorrow morning!).... :D

That looks like awesome fun. I'm envious.

Shame I won't be anywhere near ready to join in (having just completed my 11 days with Skyschool the weekend before)...but maybe one day! I'll definitely pop down and see the adventurers leave though and say Hi.

I've just been reading some of the training blogs on here (funnily enough yours, Dan) and they are really making me itch to get on with it. But I just found out that our company won't be doing bonuses this year, so I'm a thousand pounds or so less well off than I thought I'd be this year.

With that in mind, I'll probably be looking at a 2nd hand motor/wing to try to save some fundage.

Hopefully Skyschool may have something, if not I'll be turning to the masses and pleading for anyone to let me know first if they are selling something! If not...the credit card will end up taking a big hit...and I've nearly paid that off, so don't really want to use it again.

What's the thoughts on 2nd hand equipment? Is it You Pays For What You Gets?

81 days to go now!!!

What's the thoughts on 2nd hand equipment? Is it You Pays For What You Gets?

81 days to go now!!!

Bad news on the job front mate :(, I wonder how safe most of us are.

The flip side of the current climate is many people may have to sell kit to keep their heads up, good news for bargain hunters. I think with this sport quite a few people buy all the gear and then decide it's not for them after only a few months, that's where you get the real bargains but you have to be quick off the mark and snap it up. I often post links on here if I see stuff on ebay, your other option is to scan the classifieds on http://www.paramotorsuk.co.uk/.

good luck

cheers

Dan

It's not fatal news on the job front...just means that I won't be able to afford as much, as quickly...but it looks like my job is safe at the moment...just purse strings being tightened by the directors. :cry:

It's disappointing, because I really want to get in the air as soon after I've done the Skyschool course as possible, while it's all fresh in my mind. (that plus the excitement and "cool" factor!)

I'd consider a 2nd job but then that would leave me no weekend free to fly...so that aint gonna happen! :lol:

I'll just have to keep my eye out for deals nearer April when I know a bit more about it all.

:D

Im in the same boat mate as im sure a lot of us are.

I did my first flight a few weeks ago and the high is amazing. You wanna get up asap and this is where you need to be sensible with what you buy etc as impulse buying can be a bad thing?! I would get a wing first as that way you can still go out and knacker yourself out with ground handling practice. I have done so much but it still makes you feel involved!

Hi Steve

Does the music not provide the extra few quid needed?

I went to Skyschool also and split it over 2 weeks, one in Oct 07 and the other in Apr 08, I wrote a blog about the first week at http://www.getjealous.com/supermalc , I never bothered with writing about the 2nd week as it was quite non eventful after doing my back in on the 2nd day!

You'll have a right laugh with Deano and the boys and the scenery is spectacular if you get to do a cross country!

I was in the same boat as you with funds but in the end I decided I would only fly brand new equipment and bunged it on the credit card!

Cheers

Malc

Does the music not provide the extra few quid needed?

I wish. It provides the occasional income boost...but not much.

(I wanted an excuse to reply...just so I could say...80 days to go! :lol: )

I read your blog/diary thing...Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Quick question...you didn't hire a car...so did they pick you up from the airport or did you get a taxi?

The first time I got picked up, the 2nd time I got a train to Figueres and got picked up from there! I thought about hiring a car but its a lot to shell out for something that will be sat still most of the time!

You seem to get picked up alot Malcs :wink::wink:

Pete b :D

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone ever criticises me for not being patient, I'm going to refer them to this forum thread...

62 days left on my countdown! :lol:

I'm annoying all my friends on facebook by continuously posting the daily countdown! :roll:

Kinda feel like I'm wishing life away...but January is usually rubbish anyway.

So are there many places to fly from in Surrey...obviously Gatwick takes up a lot of airspace south of reigate/redhill, but does anyone have anywhere they fly from in the area? I live a 10 minutes walk from the Epsom Downs racecourse and they have model planes and kites there in the big open area within the racecourse. I'm wondering if it's worth grovelling to them asking to fly from there, but I guess motors and horses wouldnt mix...still...the model planes make a lot of noise.

Hi Steve, My mostly visited site is Lambourne which is an hour away from Farnborough but if you wish to stay local then there is Barry Gardners field in Normandy which is a stones throw away from Guilford (havn't got the details at hand but with 62 days to go you have time to look. Also Blacklands Farm in Basingstoke. Both need payment. Barry's field costs £10 a day but that includes camping if you wish. Basingstoke is as far as l can remember £20 for a season.

Pete, op went well, knee still a bit stiff. Motor still with Parajet but all should be up and running and me in the air within the next month, hopefu 8) lly.

Mike

Hi Dan, I would imagine its the same as the flag pole with all the past rain we've had, as l am grounded at the moment after my knee op. also my motor is still with Parajet.

Best person to ask is Paul Sayers (blackbird) but l will ring him later anyway and find out for you.

Mike

Hi Dan, If the farmer hasn't changed the field in the clip, the one shown is a big field and the trees only line two sides thinly. Plenty of landing out fields. so a great airfield for us as long as its not waterlogged as it is very flat. (ringing Paul later for update if he has one)

Mike

Pete, op went well, knee still a bit stiff. Motor still with Parajet but all should be up and running and me in the air within the next month, hopefu 8) lly.

Mike

Can you remember how to fly now?

I am forgetting slowly its been that long :D

Better a stiff one than a sore one :wink:

Pete b

Getting a bit stale meself. l'm sure it will all come back to me. Seems a blxxxy long time though. Have you got loan of kit yet or has insurance paid up?

Dan, Blacklands is waterlogged and so a no go. but Kay and Paul inform me that the common is flyable as it is on higher ground but watch the power lines. This is the field north of the A30 a few yards East of Blackdam roundabout.

RUSH ON THE SPRING and flyable kit eh!!!!