Solo 210 Starting problems

Phil_P

Hi Dave,

A very good engineer friend of mine sorted my gap problems out. Take a normal card (not plastic) business card and place it between the coil and magneto and then tighten the coil in to place.

It's near as impossible to measure to within several thousandts of an inch (for me anyway). The business card trick is apparently used quite heavily in agricultural engineering circles and it did the trick with me. Card is far better than plastic because the card will bend around the circumference of the magneto.

Give it a crack and let me know how you get on

Paul.

Thanks mate, I will see if that works :D

Right I have set the gap as above, its getting fuel and a spark, bloody thing still wont start :twisted::twisted:

R U GETTING A SPARK ON A SLOW PULL OR A HARD PULL.I WAS GETTING A SPARK ON A HARD PULL AND NOT ON A SLOW MY SOLO WOULNT GO,SO I PUT ANOTHER MAG ON AND PERFECT SPARK ON SLOW PULL FIRED STRAIGHT UP ,ALSO FOUND THE HALFT MOON KEY WAS BROKE GIVING A WEAK SPARK REPLACED THAT AND NOW OK .CHANGE THE PLUG AND TRY A BIT OF FUEL DOWN THE PLUG HOLE IF IT STARTS SUSPECT THE CARB OR CRANK SEALS FOR LEAK//

Right I have set the gap as above, its getting fuel and a spark, bloody thing still wont start :twisted::twisted:

Dave is the plug wet or dry?

Pete b

The plug is wet Pete, so far I have:

rebiult carb and set it to factory settings

replaced HT lead and plug cap

Replaced killswitch aong with the wires from it

as I say its getting fuel and a good strong spark so all the ingredients are there, think you are right Frazer, apart from a couple of gallons of petrol and a box of matches I dont know what to do with it LOL

only thing I have removed is the coil and have set the gap up today, its back on the same it was when i bought it and it was running fine.

Pete the woodruff key will be my next move, I take it I will need a flywheel puller, anyone know if I would need a particuler size?

cheers, dave.

only thing I have removed is the coil and have set the gap up today, its back on the same it was when i bought it and it was running fine.

Pete the woodruff key will be my next move, I take it I will need a flywheel puller, anyone know if I would need a particuler size?

cheers, dave.

You may have an internal thread round the recess where the flywheel nut lives. If it's the same as mine, it is a 26mm x 1.5mm pitch, right hand thread. You can check the pitch by counting how many threads you can see, and measuring the total depth in mm, divide the one by the other and you get the pitch. Diameter, you can probably measure with a ruler.

I have a puller with this thread, and I think a 27x1.25 on the opposite end, so if you are stuck, and this is the size you need, you are welcome to borrow mine.

Phil