Winter warmers!

gazza_c

To those of you that don't have the benefit(in some cases!) of electric start to enable heated gloves what ones do you find are the best whilst flying? Im having a job trying to find a decent pair to keep toastie but not to feel like im wearing loaf's of bread on me hands! cheers

up to now i have had three different type of these gloves, ranging from twenty to forty pounds. they aint up to much i wouldnt buy again.

Its the finger tips that suffer and the gloved i had dont reach the finger tips. just my opinion ya better off with some motorbike gloves i use them and fingers are warm, they are a little bulky buy ya cant have it all now can ya :P

Silk glove liners can make a difference that is totally out of proportion to their weight and thickness.

My daughter bought me a pair of electrically heated gloves for Christmas, and they seem to work pretty well. I certainly noticed when one of the power plugs got inadvertently unplugged. Probably been flying at, or possibly below zero a couple of times, and they kept me toastie. The gloves in question are Chinese made, with a logo of a 'script' letter 'Z' on the back, with two wavy lines through the vertical portion of the letter. Powered by three AA batteries, I can't tell the life yet, as I left them on by mistake last time I used them (and this will probably be an ongoing problem). Probably fairly generic and inexpensive, as I know my daughter doesn't have much extra cash. I guess they might fall apart in no time, but if they do, I'll probably fit the heating wire into some better gloves.

If you want to go upmaket, then gloves like the Gerbers are really good, but you'll need to hook up a total loss power supply. I don't know what current they draw, but one possibility might be the Li-On 12v battery packs you can buy on that well known auction site. About the size of a pack of king size and come complete with charger. Some also have a USB socket so will run USB powered kit too, charge your phone etc. As the Gerbers have heat controllers, they won't be drawing full power all the time (I'm guessing at some sort of pulse width control), so a 2500mAh pack should give a reasonable run time, if say, a pair of gloves draw 5 Amps, then a battery for each one would give you an hours use at full blast. Used intermittently, or on low settings, you would probably have plenty for a couple of hours.

Just my home experimenters brain working here, please excuse.

My take,

Heated gloves are not required. Just buy a decent pair of gloves that work. 80-gm of thinsulate and a layer of windstopper followed by a goretexalike outer will keep your hands warm.

I have a pair of heated gloves here that you put a battery in the back of, the problem is that the glove it's self is crap. so the heat that is generated gets lost through the fake leather and some foam stuff. (free to good home, due to pooness when I fond them again) :lol:

Top tips from someone who has spent 6-months in a very very cold place called Kupres in Bosnia. (with wind chill it was -40C and wet most of the time)

1. Make sure your hands are warm before you put your gloves on.

2. Don't do the wrist strap up tight enough that you can feel it (as this will reduce your blood flow to the hand.) same with your flight suit wrist straps.

3. As soon as you feel that your hands are getting cold, start to wiggle your fingers. (you have to do this as soon as you start to feel and cold to work well) if it's only one finger, just wiggle that finger, this also helps to pump your 'warm' blood into the fingers.

4. If still cold, park a brake at a time and lower your hands below your heart and wiggle, again more 'warm' blood.

The main one though, (which makes such a huge difference) is to warm up your hands before you put your gloves on.

SW :D

Simon, it is very hard to generalise about what people need, as humans differ so much physiologically. Some people have a really good circulation to their extremities, such that even when the temperature drops to a point where you might expect their bodies to direct the blood to core organs, they continue getting nice warm blood delivered to their finger tips. The down side of this, is that these same folks will slip into hypothermia sooner even though they don't get frost bite.

In extremis, there are people who's circulation is inadequate in anything other than warm weather, and who can develop frost bite very easily. Two conditions that can accelerate this are Raynauds' disease and diabetes.

An individuals tolerance to discomfort/pain also varies wildly.

Whilst some people can get away with good quality ordinary gloves, functional heated gloves can be a real boon for those who need them, and this is one 'gadget' that I don't think should be dismissed out of hand (sorry) . There is also the potential benefit that, if you are using electric heating, you can reduce insulation bulk and hence retain a really good feel on the controls (especially those little push buttons on your GPS)

I found that when I was using my Motorbike for commuting in the Winter it was noticable that if I put my gloves on when I started out (and my hands were warm) I could do a 80mile commute and not get cold hands at all.

However, If I stopped at the services for a break and took my gloves off my hands would be freezing cold for the rest of the journey which bears out what Simon is saying.

I am not against heated gloves and if they work then I would get some myself but they just seem a lot of trouble and something else to complicate things!

Cheers

Eddie

I have had a couple of flights in sub zero temperatures recently. One of an hour and one of 30 minutes, and kept warm hands.

I wear soldier 95 gloves which are thick enough to be warm but not so thick that the GPS is impossible to operate. Lovely soft, supple leather gives good feel through the brakes. Go for the genuine "as issued" version as these have gore-tex in them. I also wear them on shoot days and have never got wet hands even having been out all day in the pouring rain. Good value at £15

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2588.html

Would make a good base for the heated wires from cheap heated gloves.

I've had good luck with a heat pad in each glove:

http://store.everestgear.com/372100.html

They fit in boots too and are usually pretty hot if they get enough air and you squeeze them.

I've found that with a pair of leather mechanic's gloves they will do for temps right to freezing with little to no insulation.

That leaves fingers in gloves without the seams on the fingertips - pet peeve.

I like them because they're simple and don't require power (and the extra weight).

If your flight is over, a ziplock bag will suspend the heat until next time.

I've had an 12-5v adapter drag my battery down before even in cruise flight.

Uncool.

One neat idea I saw once was use of a pole and an eskimo style common mitt.

Toggles were attached to ends of a collapsible lock-on-extend pole and the mitt was in the center, where arms sealed each end for toasty hands together in lap flying.

This was a free flight setup, but a parajet or other small throttle shouldn't be difficult to include.

Setup not likely good for aerobatics...