Cruise control.

Phil_P

Just thought I'd pass on the results of an experiment that I tried on a flight yesterday;

My throttle on the Adventure, has no simple means of providing a friction lock to hold the throttle at a set level. So what I tried, was to select a large 'O' ring, who's diameter was such, that when placed round the throttle grip and the throttle lever together, was just large enough not to actuate the throttle when positioned so it was at the point where lever and grip were closest together. By pushing the 'O' ring further up the grip and lever, it progressively actuated the throttle to a greater extent. This worked very well indeed, and allowed me to completely relax my throttle hand, which in yesterday's cold conditions was a real boon.

This obviously won't work with throttles like the Parajet, that have a trigger rather than a lever.

If what I've posted doesn't make sense to readers, then please say so, and I'll take a photo and post it up.

I use the cruise quite a bit on my H&E's Especially this time of year when it's so cold.

With the low hangpoint system, turning is so easy that weightshift is all that's necessary when on XC flights. Generally i take the machine to a very safe height (800 to 1000ft) then lock my throttle so that my tacho reads 7200rpm, after locking it you can force it to adjust it slighlty of necessary- usually check your variometer to see you are indeed straight and level. For the duration of the flight, i keep the throttle 'at hand' in case of emergency. It can be realeased from lock very quickly if necessary.

GD

The engine can be killed by the kill switch regardless of throttle position and cruise being locked on. I prefer to fly in calm conditions to minimise the chance of a colapse and use cruise on fast trim but I'd not be too keen to alter the manufacturers design of the cruise control but if you post a photo Phil we can see your device.

Pics here;

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

From my experience in the cold the other day, if you have your fingers held in the same position for any length of time, you can actually find that they don't do what you want them to do, when you need it. By being able to relax your fingers, you are able to improve circulation and keep them warmer and therefore more functional.

As long as there is a grip and a throttle arm almost parallel to each other, and the distance between them varies as you squeeze the throttle, I should think it would work.

I have a box of assorted 'O' rings that I bought off Fleabay for about £15 with sizes from about 4mm through to 50mm diameter, although a local car parts place, or garage may have similar for you to choose from, and therefore only cost a few pence.

My original plan was to use a length of glider line, but I like the 'O' ring, as the rubber makes it non slip so it stays very nicely in place.

For those that worry about the throttle open/reserve deploy scenario, I have seen pictures of a very simple system that shorts out your ignition if your reserve is thrown. I know it's more complexity, but quite neat nevertheless. As for closing the throttle in the event of a collapse, I'm not even sure that is the best action in those circumstances, I'd have thought anything that helps keep up your airspeed would be beneficial, but happy to learn otherwise.

Looking at the pictures and hearing the for and against remarks - would it be better to use a velcro strap? That way it is variable and also easy to quick release if needed...you'll have seen similar on the power cords for your laptops etc.

I have buckets of them so if anyone wants one...let me know.

lt1.jpg

velcro-cinch-strap.gif[/url]

I am lucky enough to have a motor with a cruise control as standard. But.......

I never use it. Dunno why, I think its more to do with the fact I like to respond to sink and lift....?

I did not use it once on the Tip to Tip and my finger never hurt once! :lol:

SW :D

hi,

Wonder if I could apply the same principle to my PAP throttle control?

Although the pap throttle control is a bit basic compared to what I see in your pictures but the principle is the same?

Mike

my PAP throttle has one in the form of a wing nut on the pivot point, does yours not have the same?

No, no wing nut just a nut and bolt at that position.......very basic throttle indeed.

I bought the PAP brand new exactly a year ago.

It was just that looking at other throttle set ups I was a bit disappointed with the PAP version..............................................but your mention of a wing nut, I take it this works by means of pinching it up when in flight for the cruise control element and then slackening off when you want to resume to normal operation?

Mike

PAP ROS 125 and Paramania Revolution 28

I am lucky enough to have a motor with a cruise control as standard. But.......

I never use it. Dunno why, I think its more to do with the fact I like to respond to sink and lift....?

I did not use it once on the Tip to Tip and my finger never hurt once! :lol:

SW :D

Had one on the PAP that I used for 4 years, never used it once.

Havent got one now and dont need one

Pete b

I use my cruise control all the time, as soon as I'm comfy in the seat and on my way, on it goes. Unless I'm low flying, playing etc I use the cruise control. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever you are happy with. Most of my flights are longer distance so perhaps more habitual for me.

Regards.

Whitters.

No, no wing nut just a nut and bolt at that position.......very basic throttle indeed.

I bought the PAP brand new exactly a year ago.

It was just that looking at other throttle set ups I was a bit disappointed with the PAP version..............................................but your mention of a wing nut, I take it this works by means of pinching it up when in flight for the cruise control element and then slackening off when you want to resume to normal operation?

Mike

PAP ROS 125 and Paramania Revolution 28

Yes just locks the throttle in one what ever positony want, very easy to use

Fresh Breeze have a nice throttle assembly. The lever with the red button in the graphic is the throttle friction/cruise control. The red knob allows you to re-position the lever to a convenient position (say beneath your thumb) then re-attach it to the friction mechanism.

Good design - 'vorsprung durch technic' as they say in Hannover..... :wink:

20081104-dkxhq8tm9h8e225hg4578hp28j.jpg