Flying over a prison

bignos

Indeed the CAA will not 'restict' airspace for our sport which is a little poo when you have a busy site like ours.

We use local contacts like Lyneham & Brize norton talk to them and keep the big messy heli's away.

Some wise old PG pilots even say, dont list your activity as other light aircraft will see the hand Glider on the map and come over for a look! :shock:

SW :D

I thought you meant you had managed to secure an ATZ for your flying sites! I don't see how this could be achieved for an unlicensed airfield. I doubt the CAA would be keen to implement restricted airspace for a paramotor/paraglider flying site either.

I dream of the day.... :D

SW :D

I thought it would be common courtesy not to fly over prisons and other places like churchs, equestrian centres, and generally anywhere where one may piss off others, the last thing one would want is for people to be saying that these paramotors are a nuisance....

As Simon said- why would you want to fly over a prison anyway, and whats the big problem with going around it, its not as if we are ever in a hurry to get somewhere when we are up there..

Dean

I thought it would be common courtesy not to fly over prisons and other places like churchs, equestrian centres, and generally anywhere where one may piss off others, the last thing one would want is for people to be saying that these paramotors are a nuisance....

As Simon said- why would you want to fly over a prison anyway, and whats the big problem with going around it, its not as if we are ever in a hurry to get somewhere when we are up there..

Dean

So you are now adding another two categories of premises that we should volunteer not to fly over? How about schools, sports centres, cricket pitches, rugby grounds? Any one of which might elicit a complaint. Like I say, where are you going to draw the line?

Fly according to the rules, do not low fly and make sure you are above the 1000 feet over built up areas (or can glide clear). Make sure that the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. Use it or lose it is the way I feel.

Use it or lose it but don't abuse it.

Flying is a privilege not a right.

By all means fly over schools, churches, hospitals, prisons etc. but expect resistance if you become irritating. The more complaints the CAA get the more they will regulate us either with restricted airspace or with licensing and none of us want them to do that.

Whether one regards it as fair or not, the guy on the ground has more power than the guy in the air simply because the guy in the air is exercising a privilege - one that can be removed.

Abuse it and lose it.

(snip)

but expect resistance if you become irritating.

(snip)

Abuse it and lose it.

I agree with you here Stuart, but given that the times I can fly are relatively few (weather and other commitments), and thus the number of times that I will fly any given track that will take me over any 'sensitive' spots are correspondingly small, I consider it unlikely that I am likely to become an irritant. I am happy to fly high(ish), today's flight for instance was at 2500 feet after climbing overhead the airfield, which reduces further still my impact and thus irritant factor.