Fuel tank placement

outkast

Hello chaps, I have a PAP 1100 AS with an inverted solo 210 engine, the fuel tank is at the top above the engine, I have seen pics of another of these on ebay wich has a 2 part cage whereas mine has a 1 part solid cage, the one on ebay has the tank at the bottom below the engine, as a result of the cage being 2 part I woud have thought, my question is this, is there any way I can place my tank below the engine as the one on ebay has? would I need a fuel pump then as the carb would no longer be gravity fed or would the carb still be able to draw fuel from below?

its a 32mm tillotson carb that is fitted to most solo 210 engines?

Thanks chaps, Dave. :D

Hi Dave

I'm pretty sure the Tillotson has a built in pump, if you have two tubes feeding it then the one from the engine pulses the fuel pump, see this link for a few nice pictures. Moving the tank may require a carb adjustment, you could see for yourself by just dropping the fuel line into a fuel can on the floor to try it out.

Hi Dave

I'm pretty sure the Tillotson has a built in pump, if you have two tubes feeding it then the one from the engine pulses the fuel pump, see this link for a few nice pictures. Moving the tank may require a carb adjustment, you could see for yourself by just dropping the fuel line into a fuel can on the floor to try it out.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated mate, I will give it a try :D

Dave.

I'm sure moving the tank is possible, but for what gain? Are you going to be changing the cage to a 2 part?

If effort => gain, then i'd leave it alone. You will also need to think about how you are going to change/check spark plugs on the inverted engine.

If it ain't broke......

a couple of reasons the first the wieght being lower down may be a bit more manageble but the main one being in the event of a fire I dont want the tank to melt and send flaming fuel down the back of my kneck. :D

The centre of gravity is one point- but i suspect that this will make little difference to the overall feel of the paramotor. The 210 is a heavy engine, there is a lot of it on the piston side of the crankshaft, therefore it probably needs a lot of weight on the opposing side to counteract this. If you PAP frame is low hangpoint, then you should bear this in mind. Ulimately when you are clipped into the frame, the centre of gravity should be acting on an axis near your belly button. To maintain this you may need to invert the engine also.

The point you bring up about fire is an old point aired on numberous occasions on many different forums. If your engine catches fire you're probably in big trouble... but how likely is this to happen.. If it overheats, leans out, etc.... the piston will melt or have a hole burnt though it, then it will immediatley stop or seize. I've never heard of a 2 stroke catching fire ever. On board electrical starter unit may be the only risk, these are generally fused, that should protect you from fire. If you have a pull start then you're ok.

Also a lot of people think that a fuel leek over a hot engine will cause a fire... 2 stroke mix requires a spark to ignite it, the hot engine surfaces will not produce the ingnition- lots of smoke maybe, but no fire.

If you're really concerned about the high level fuel tank, and CofG the best option may be to sell your machine and buy a newer style PAP or H&E.

I have a list of paramotor accidents and their attributed causes somewhere- of the 250 or so listed, fire was not mentioned once.

Careful now! Petrol vapour in an enclosed space is entirely different matter.. easier to ignite, but in theory still needs a spark or naked flame. Don't experiment- take our word for it.

point taken, it was just an idea I was toying with, thanks for the info Gordon.

Hi Outkast, have you flown with your motor yet? My 1100 AS is the exact same model as yours and I have no problems with it. Doesnt seem unbalanced or top heavy on the ground and does its job fine in the air so I would be in no hurry to change it.

Have you managed to turn it over yet? Try and get hold of a Solo 210 manual if you can or speak to 'skyhawk' like I mentioned, he knows his stuff with regards to this motor.

Hi Outkast, have you flown with your motor yet? My 1100 AS is the exact same model as yours and I have no problems with it. Doesnt seem unbalanced or top heavy on the ground and does its job fine in the air so I would be in no hurry to change it.

Have you managed to turn it over yet? Try and get hold of a Solo 210 manual if you can or speak to 'skyhawk' like I mentioned, he knows his stuff with regards to this motor.

Thanks Fuel, I can turn the motor over just not fast/hard enough to fire it up, my mate who is a 18 stone man mountain had a go and even he said, "feck me I nearly broke my wrist" :lol:

from what I've read I would say it has to be the decompression hole blocked. I'm sure you have but just to check you did clean both ends of the hole one with a 3mm drill bit and the other a 4mm bit cant remember of hand which is which but should be easy to tell.

Best of luck.

chers Col...

from what I've read I would say it has to be the decompression hole blocked. I'm sure you have but just to check you did clean both ends of the hole one with a 3mm drill bit and the other a 4mm bit cant remember of hand which is which but should be easy to tell.

Best of luck.

chers Col...

Hi Col, yes I cleaned the hole all the way through, thats what i cant understand.