walkerjet and tandem

Guest leoibb

No disrespect but... if you haven't got the level of knowledge yet to know what hang system you are using have you really got the experience necessary to be doing tandem? You are responsible for the life of your passenger and those you fly over so I trust your experience level is matching your aspirations!

Please, please prove my doubts to be unfounded but it doesn't seem long ago that you were asking some very very beginnerish questions.

yes i am pretty new i know the expence of a wing and i am aware of what hang system i have got as for taking pasengers up it hasnt really come to that yet i am curious what i would use to do it as i have not seen any tandem foot launch for the walkerjet. only seen trikes so i got curious however if i do get to do tandems i will gladly take you up first if you like

I've heard it recommended that you have 100 hours + experience before attempting tandem tuition and preferably an instructor rating so you're qualified to tell your passenger what they'll be expected to do (and what not to do!) I've assisted tandem freflight TO's and can tell you it's not easy to pull that big old wing up into even light breeze, which you'll need, rather than nil wind. Tandem on wheels is considered safer but you'd need a full microlight ticket for that.

mmm i know it was just a curious thing really i dont think for one min i will be doing any tandem flights ive seen a few done as in assisted as for pulling the wing up i know how hard it is. it is something i will be doing in the future as far as i know there is a few that do tandem in this country so it aint out of reach, my thoughts are this that everything is easy once you know how to do it . i do struggle with the hundred hours tho in the fact that would a tandem wing respond the same as a one person wing? if you have to throw a reserve is it different on a tandem? the only part i see being different is the wing and the launch, just maybe flying might respond slightly different , ohhh and landing . so when one says you need 100 hours then i dont buy that for this reason the hundred hours are on something different and on your own once on tandem it would still be alien to the person , the only value i see 100 hours being is if shit happens in the air but for launching and landing then no i dont buy it

mmm i know it was just a curious thing really i dont think for one min i will be doing any tandem flights ive seen a few done as in assisted as for pulling the wing up i know how hard it is. it is something i will be doing in the future as far as i know there is a few that do tandem in this country so it aint out of reach, my thoughts are this that everything is easy once you know how to do it . i do struggle with the hundred hours tho in the fact that would a tandem wing respond the same as a one person wing? if you have to throw a reserve is it different on a tandem? the only part i see being different is the wing and the launch, just maybe flying might respond slightly different , ohhh and landing . so when one says you need 100 hours then i dont buy that for this reason the hundred hours are on something different and on your own once on tandem it would still be alien to the person , the only value i see 100 hours being is if shit happens in the air but for launching and landing then no i dont buy it

If you dont buy the 100 hours first then you have not done enough hours yet to know why.

Please dont even think of this until you understand about the 100 hours

Pete b approx 450 hours

"i do struggle with the hundred hours tho in the fact that would a tandem wing respond the same as a one person wing?"

Thats scary!

No it does not, not at all. not on the ground or in the air.

That I think is the point of the 100 hours.

I used to get a little Peed off at the 'system' and how long it took for me to do what I wanted to do with my flying but there are a few key words in that comment...

I, and ME.

As soon as you start to involve others.......

Ask yourself, can you land on your feet every time?

Can you take off evert time with ease in all (and high wind, for tandem flight) conditions? Do you understand 100% how to recover a NON reflex tandem wing with the added weight of a P2?

Can you assure me that you will not kill my wife or brother during that flight? or even Your wife or brother more to the point...

If not, you aint ready.

SW :D

lol i know i aint ready wouldnt think of it now but lets assume 100 hours landin on my feet perfect everytime and recover wings well, does that then give one the capability to land with tandem on his feet and take off well also handle the collapses the same? i dont think it does, the larger wing will be harder to get up the runnin is different the landing is same but with twice the weight and your basically holdin another persons weight on ya legs to land if they dont put there feet down same when taking off , so 9 stone bloke with 100 plus hours is not for sure gonna be able to do tandem because he might not even have the strength to get the wing up, so call me thick but i fail to see why he so so many hours are so important i can accept the experience side of it but not the phisical side. if i done years in a car it dont mean i can go get in an arctic wagon and drive it safe does it? analogy but sameish lol

well if u dont take the advice that the other chaps on the forum r giving u to why u need 100 hrs plus.go and watch tandum free flying landings. a lot land on there backsides due to the speed at which they land at esp in light winds.any brezze will drag the pilot and pass/.u will see people ready to help the pilot as he lands in a brezze.they grab the brakes and run to deflate the wing to stop them getting dragged.now add the weight of a motor and u can see why u would want a pro/doing the flying.i have had a lot of tandum flights and u dont bounce to good on a bad landing.tandums with ppg i think r best done with wheels.i woulnt do tandum on a ppg unless i saw the pilot do lots of landings with someone else first//to control a tandum wing takes a long time to master in any sort of brezze.think about the person u want to take up .ur landings must be perfect u wont run of a fast landing with a passenger////

ok i understand all that but i started this with a question what one would use for tandem as i aint seen any foot launch tandems done with walkerjet, that was the question, i wasnt seeking advise on tandem flying because i am aware that it is very different and i aint gonna be responsible for someone else so it is somethin i may want to do in the future but not now. i am curious to know all the people givin there advise do they fly tandem or it is knowledge built from talkin to people who have? but let me stress to you all i am not flying tandem and will be some time before i attempt it. so stop fussing boys. i think the safest route is with a trike anyway but that has its downsides to it but to calm ya all down its a long long way off

apart from what one looks for when flying i dont see owt else the passenger has to be able to follow instructions apart from that i am lost, go on tell me i am missing somethin lol

• 6 months later...

well il tell ya not that it matters but yes seeking a tandem wing to fly tandem, i get the feeling that ya feel there is some magical skill for this or it is really bad to do it?

i started out with this with no idea but i got clued up and i am very safe, i was told by people dont fly the action wing as a beginner cos of this and that, i took on board what was said and went against the advise and flew it and i really did wonder what was the big deal? i fly it all the time now never problems never bad launches always clean tidy launchin. so what was that fuss really all about.

i do accept peoples opinions but lets be fair they are opinions and not a judgement of ability altho it does feel that way sometimes,

i know i am goin on but dont judge on your own abilities please, what is hard to one is easy to another,

i have about 35 hours, i will be honest i tend to only fly in very low wind my choice, i have hundreds of hours ground handling, i will also tell ya when i was learning this thing i used to jog round the field with the motor on my back with the wing, grounhandling with the wing with motor on my back, and it wasnt once it was every night till it became simple, so when it comes to learning and making sure i can do a job i put my self out plenty to make sure i am competent, and the same will be applied with tandem too, how many peope put them selves through that, not many i dont think,

i was a scaffolderswinging about on poles before health and safety started about using harnesses, spent years roofing before heath and safety came on about scaffold. my point is safety has always been my own responsibility and it is bred in me now,

i think a lot over complicate this sport, it is in my mind a simple sport providing you are of a normal mind and got some common sence, there is dangers with all things if you get them wrong and make mistakes, this is no different and no more complex than anything else i have come across, i had a crap flight the other night i knew i was ok but i didnt like it , i really dont enjoy bein thrown about, il go to fair for that, so i go out on good calm days and tandem will be no different, so my question is what is all the fuss and concern about?

sorry to go on like an old lady but it wears me out to listen to some people givin advise when they dont know me and sometimes there advise is second hand.

if anyone has flown tandem and can give some constructive info id love it and ask a lot of questions but if people give advise on tandems when they not flown them then it aint worth a lot to me,,

sorry boys im off to play bingo now lol

There's nothing wrong with looking for a tandem wing - I've got my eyes open for one, but as you've found, most of the second hand stuff is old technology and demands the sweetest of conditions to enjoy the flight. I'm looking more to get the wing loading down per Ed's post then to carry another.

I can't speak to what being a tandem pilots means as I'm not rated and not sure I'd prefer boating slowly around with ballast just to keep the screams muted.

What I can say is that when I did go for a tandem I assumed that my pilot had his chops up and I was not taking a risk in the least allowing him to pilot both of us.

My only tandem was at the beginning at my free flight training, and unless you're signing up another pilot to go for a tour, your passenger will likely be of the same frame of mind. That is, have no idea what they are getting into, signing up for, going to see or how it will change they way they see the sky.

So, aside from a signed waiver of responsibility in the event of unforeseen conditions causing a hard or otherwise negative landing, you need to have some sort of syllabus in place to train your passengers (especially for foot launch). Quite often that simply means "When I say go, run as hard as you can into the wind!". Testing is built in to ensure they zig when they should and don't depend on you to pick them up and carry them for the launch phase. Same applies when you have to land and they fail to stand (how many have seen that one). Note these are just things I remember and not a hint of all the things that are important.

I respect your self safe discipline, the extent to which you've gone is a rarity - the hundred hours is suggested simply because that amount of time is usually sufficient to expose even the slowest learner to most of the situations they might encounter as well as automate the responses. I want my tandem pilot thinking about staying aloft and where and when we'll land rather then regular flying bits. If he can't do that, then my questions may well distract enough to get us both into trouble.

Not a thing wrong with talking about it either, right up to when you do it and then after! One sure way to hook folks into the sport.

Hundreds of hours of groundhandling goes a very long way to replacing a hundred in the air. Anyone who disagrees has not done the hundreds on the ground.

So few see the huge value in that even when it's boring you teach yourself something (maybe especially when it's boring).

You will not be the first or the last to fly tandem just because you can, and all that ground time may well place your acquired skills ahead of many others who do.

In the end it's your call as to whether you're capable. It is your passenger's decision to join you. All the rest of us can do is rant and go on about what you should know, which is probably the end goal of this thread eh?

just wondering about this tandem i am considering using an 80 kilo load as a pretend passenger, but how the heck can i run with it? i did consider some form of wheels that would support the weight, which i could push a long but this seems like it could be really hard work, anyone any ideas

How about a wheel barrow?

You could park the brakes and weigh shift to steer, and then run along at full power pushing the wheel barrow. As you lift off you could vault the wheel barrow and hey presto, airborne.

Landing would be a bit tricky, but if you are good at spot landings you could land the "dummy" in a strategically placed shopping trolley. This would start moving in front of you and take the weight.

As they say on compare the meerkat - Simples! :wink:

Ian.

p.s.

Yes I am taking the p**s, sorry!