Reserve setup

jack

I have a front mounted reserve, currently routed up the left and use the throttle in the right.

My reserve is in for repacking, would it be better to have it packed to route up the right (dominant hand instead)

Any thoughts please?

Jack

phil what ever hand u use to throw the reserve.ie if u r right handed put the bridle up the right hand side of harness.u dont want to throw a reserve to the right if u have it threaded up the left side .it could inflate and take ur head off,always thread a reserve on the side u would throw it///that is the advice of a pro/reserve packer and 20 years skydiving exp/gave me and when u think about it it makes sence///

You need to be shutting down the engine with the throttle hand so need to use the other hand to throw the reserve? The reserve bridles wont take your head off if they are properly secured to release progressively. Their velcro containers need a couple of kilos force to release so that the pilot is swung away from the bridles before they let go. Most paramotors are fitted with poorly condsidered reserve deployment systems and DIY. Many bridles are simply hanging loose around the pilot.

IMO

phil what ever hand u use to throw the reserve.ie if u r right handed put the bridle up the right hand side of harness.u dont want to throw a reserve to the right if u have it threaded up the left side .it could inflate and take ur head off,always thread a reserve on the side u would throw it///that is the advice of a pro/reserve packer and 20 years skydiving exp/gave me and when u think about it it makes sence///

Indeed, does make sense. My reserve is routed on my right side and my right hand is my throwing hand as I have a left hand throttle.

Just for interest that was a chap called James from TVHGC on his SIV course. And he spoke of his ventures at one of the Club nights. He said his heatbeat was going ten to the dozen but he kept his cool and deployed succesfully. I believe he still flies.

Mike

Even if it is slowed down it just hangs under him for ages.

If you throw it it should open immediately, if not then a it was packed wrong or b it is partly stuck together maybe wet.

I have flown with and seen a soaking wet reserve deployment and it was a lot quicker than that.

If this was mine I would want to find out why

Pete b

Fancy going through the whole falling into your own wing, the reserve taking forever to open then landing safely in the sea.........

Just to be run over by the safety boat!!! :lol:

Just for interest, I fly a Parajet Volution (compact) and have a front mounted reserve. I fly with the throttle in my right hand so have set up the bridles for a left hand deployment. The bridle is routed back along the left swing arm, then up the side of the back plate to behind my neck and then down to the maillons on the shoulders. I agree with Francis that a controlled deployment is critical so I use short pieces of double sided velcro (known as self gripping ties) cut to size from a reel (shown below) to attach the bridles to the arms and other attachment points.

http://velcro-solutions.co.uk/cms/Adjustable_Ties.56.0.html

Edited by Guest

• 10 years later...