Bums on seats, how?

Phil_P

Well, I have just passed what for me is amonumentous milestone. I made my first ever unsupervised flight. Perhaps I'm mad, but the conditions seemed good with a steady firm breeze, probably about 8knots, and not so warm that I'd cook in my flying suit. A local farmer has given me free range of in excess of a thousand acres when fallow, with the nearest about 400 yds from my front door. My grown up son was briefed with my location, plans and expected time of return.

I did some ground handling first, with reverse launches going very smoothly and the wing just hanging nicely over m y head with very little input.

It took three attempts to get into the air, with a suitably long interval between each to get my breath back. At least with no-one to watch, the pressure was off. When I did get airborne, I think I was quite startled and I was probably twenty feet up before I realized.

I had decided to do one extended circuit and return to land, but here is the crux of the posting, I couldn't for the life of me get my bum back into the seat. I even tried parking my brakes to try and hitch myself up, but to no avail, so the circuit wasn't the most comfortable in the world as you can probably imagine. How on earth do you do it?

The landing was uneventful, although the flare was probably a couple of feet late so slightly firm, but I stayed upright and turned to drop the wing reasonably neatly.

So come on guys, what are your hints, tips and suggestions to get the old gluteus maximus onto it's perch?

I reckon check your leg straps to make sure they are tight enough, if they are too slack you will dangle to low in the harness, you should just be able to squeeze a few fingers under them when tight but slack enough to run with relative ease.

I also find that doing a quick squat and doing a test run of putting my arse into the seat before launch ensures you are ready to be scooped up when you take off. Last handy hints are to wear a gore-tex style flying suit as it slips into the seat much easier, also phones/wallets/keys in trouser pockets can make life difficult.

Edited by Guest

Hi Phil, firstly when you are set ready to take off make sure the front portion of the seat harness is down, this is ofcourse after you have done a hang check (l am presuming you have done this) and that when you slightly bend to a sitting position it try to put your bum in seat.

Once you have taken off if you havn't slipped into your seet natural get to a safe height then park your brakes put throttle in mouth and carefully reach down and back until you find a finger hand hold in the harness and pop yourself in. Careful not to put your hands to far back for obvious reasons.

Mike

All good advice up there but to add, I found my main problem was having the shoulder straps too tight, now I can get a fist between the strap and my shoulder before launching and I'm in half in my seat as soon as airborne, then at 300+ feet and into wind i hang the left brake, keep a tiny bit of throttle on and with my left hand I push down into the left corner of the seat, kick my legs and I'm in.

I found that you can also have the leg straps too tight so that they won't move when you try to get in.

I think we all seem to have different techniques and we are all different shapes, try all of the above until you get it right, best way is to do a hang test with the straps at diferent degrees of tightness and see what's easiest!

Also Congrats,,

And Malks has given you the most likely cause ( the Shoulder Straps to tight )

A good test is to get into your motor and strap up as per pre flight drills....

Bend you legs at the knees but keep your back streight.....

If the seat slides under your arse, then you have a good chance of getting into the harness without using your hands at all, by just bringing your knees to your chest after take off.

If you if you find that you have to 'wiggle' at all to make it drop under your arse you will find they are to tight and you will find it hard to get in to your harness.

For most motors, You should make it feel like a ruck sack on your back, and the loosten it off a little (they will all be different though)

SW :D

Edited by Guest

Getting the straps the right length is essential as Simon says. I also note you had three attempts? I am wondering about your body posture during launch.

Running to get airbourne and getting puffed out, eventually up there but dangling? sounds like a lot of hard work which sounds like wrong posture.. Doing it "right" involves getting scooped up into your seat and being pushed into the air from behind with very little "puffing".

If you had taken a video I am wondering if you would have been seen bent froward at the run? rather than leaning back against the push?

"unsupervised"? sounds like you havent had all your training yet? maybe there are some bits yet to learn from your instructor.

Glad to hear it all went well enough and what a buzz for you to get into the air.