How much should I pay for a swing arcus?

huffhuff

Following on from another thread where the buyer stated 'first to see will buy', another common term that appears in every wing sale is 'still crispy'. What an incredibly useless term that is after all at the end of the day my pants are 'still crispy' but that doesn't mean I'd want to fly under them! A good basic rule of thumb for second hand wings is get it checked by Aerofix, The Loft or an equivalent. If the seller won't put it through an inspection prior to you paying him (and a contribution towards said inspection) then walk away. The amount of flying hours the wing has done is also only part of the story. How and where it is stored can be just as important.

I paid £600 on fleabay for an Arcus (3 I think) in XL with powerplay risers. It was a 2003 model and when I sent it to 'The Loft', it got 'good' on just about every category.

I must say that I think I landed lucky regarding condition, plus with being XL perhaps demand was a bit lower which may have held the price down.

Having watched many adverts since, I should think that a serviced one with a good report might cost you between £600 and £800 with maybe the odd one going higher or lower.

I paid £600 on fleabay for an Arcus (3 I think) in XL with powerplay risers. It was a 2003 model and when I sent it to 'The Loft', it got 'good' on just about every category.

I must say that I think I landed lucky regarding condition, plus with being XL perhaps demand was a bit lower which may have held the price down.

Having watched many adverts since, I should think that a serviced one with a good report might cost you between £600 and £800 with maybe the odd one going higher or lower.

I just picked up a sting powerplay 160, only 2 hours use with only 25 mins of that actually flying, came with rucksack, stuffsack, manuals and speedbar for just £1000, so sometimes there are some good deals to be had if you duck and dive a little you can find them.

Dont know where you are but dont forget Green Dragons near Gatwick also do paragl;ider inspections . Dont forget also that a gliderwith a Loft says Its Good certidficate is worth nore than one that doesnt. Make an offer (around 500 for an arcus) conditional that he gets it Lofted, which you will pay for if it comes back "Good", otherwise its at his cost?

There are lots of Arcusses out there so its a buyers market.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the loft...

The paraglider service consists of a full inspection of the glider. This includes ribs, cross ribs, top surface, bottom surface, seams, tabs, lines, risers and harness. A selection of lines are measured to check against the manufacturers spec. A porosity test and line strength test are also done if necessary. We can also test the strength of the cloth but this is only needed if the glider is old, or has had a lot of use or is very faded. With the service you receive a full written report stating any problems found, any previous repairs, work done and report of the gliders overall condition.

Craggrat, I rang around and got some prices, here they are for both aerofix and the loft;

Aerofix; £45+vat and postage (£20 there and back)

The Loft; £65+vat and postage (again, £20 there and back)

Didn't get lead times on aerofix but did on the loft and they said 7-10 days. Although, I have heard these could be a tad 'optomistic' :)

Ben

I specifically use Aerofix in preference to the Loft for that very reason. I have sent wings and reserves to Aerofix in the Monday post and had it back on Friday ready for the weekend. In my experience with the Loft your lucky to get it back in the same month!

I have to say,

I have not used Airfix, but I have used the loft, and a few of the club members have used them and had an almost instant repair and return.

I dont even know the peoples names at the loft so have no link or friendship to consider in my post.

I am not dissing Airfix, people seem to talk highly of them as well.

SW :D