Macro

Mike

All, got my motor back from Parajet today. The PJ boys have done a fantastic job on it to include fixing the engine, straitening out the cage. Downside (not Parajets fault l may add) is that they still can't get hold of props. So at the moment all l can do is look at it and polish it and be patient. Up to the good news again: when they get them in PJ is going to post one onto me - what service eh!.

Need to get airborne soon thou' before l forget how to fly 8):lol::lol::lol:8)

Regards Mike

Could you not make, or have made, an adapter that would allow you to fit props with different fixings. A bit like I had to do in order to fit the GSC prop to my Adventure (different PCD's and bolt patterns).

You surely would be able to find a prop that would 'make do'?

I wonder how quickly some of the suppliers in Thailand could get a prop to you.

I think that Parajet are close to making an adjustable prop hub (or) buying and fitting GSC ones as standard.

Mike, bring your broken carbon one over I will have a look to see if it could be mended.

I have a wooden one I can lend you for a fly (on a break it pay for it basis of course) but you cant take it away as I need it evey day.

Glad your happy with the work done.

SW :D

All, got my motor back from Parajet today. The PJ boys have done a fantastic job on it to include fixing the engine, straitening out the cage. ....

Regards Mike

Come on then Mike, don't be shy about any incident we all can learn (or get a laugh?) from?

How did it happen, what broke on or in the engine, etc, etc?

Cheers

Paul

All, got my motor back from Parajet today. The PJ boys have done a fantastic job on it to include fixing the engine, straitening out the cage. ....

Regards Mike

Come on then Mike, don't be shy about any incident we all can learn (or get a laugh?) from?

How did it happen, what broke on or in the engine, etc, etc?

Cheers

Paul

Oh I do know that one cannot out run a Revolution on fast trim take off - even with a Macro with what is it 150lbs of whoop@$$ thrusties. She only face planted me once but now I have reached new heights. Just a nick in the carbon fibre (this time) and my cage has 1/3 "character" twice removed.

It's all good, (not withstanding performance pressure)

Marko D

hi guys

Know about the wait for props- parajets australian supplier has had me waiting for about a month!

Still- gilo does his best, bless him.

Unfortunately my props are a bit beyond repair as they just exploded :shock:

It took a bit of balls to put this on youtube due to my utter embarresment :oops::oops: but people can have a laugh / learn form my (expensive :oops: ) mistake.

check it out........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KENu5WAuwLM

Very impressive Si Mort.

I have to take my hat off to you for that one.

Its strange. When paramotorists watch and hear props being destroyed in such an impressive way it is like being at the dentist: :shock:

Watching produces the same reaction as when the dentist hits a nerve with his drill; Shoulder shrinking face wrinkling ooooch! :oops:

We all know how frustratingly annoying wrecking expensive props by simple mistakes are, but when its not us, it provides a kind of sick pleasure. Whats that all about? Perhaps its because its not our own prop breaking up arround our ears for a change.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Regards

Whitters.

I am not going to pretend that I know the secrets of the perfect launch, but leaning back as you run does seem to be a critical component. If you let the thrust line fall even slightly below the horizontal you are starting to set up a face plant - been there....

20080911-rst2cgw6tqsr9qmn9une4i2qe6.jpg

If it starts to happen at takeoff thrust it is not recoverable, I believe that coming off the power quickly and abandoning the launch (removes the thrust that is about to plant your face) and then leaning back up to the vertical in your attempt to recover your balance is the way forward (pun ~ and all this while running out :roll: )

Trying to continue with a failing launch is the root cause of the destruction of your prop - throw the launch away early if it starts to go wrong is what I tell myself. This can be a tough call sometimes.

Perhaps others could comment?

Simon, try and get down next Sun or Monday. Take you up on your offer, thanks. also noticed battery flat so charging as l type.

Bathboy, nothing drastic, just had a little problem with the piston.

:roll::roll: Mike

Engine breaking down is drastic enough to me! Do you know the cause of the piston problem? Did it sieze, hole in the top or?

IMHO motors don't/shouldn't just break as we are not running them that hard. Pizza delivery boys using basically the same thing a lot harder and for longer.

Simply put, I've a Parajet and wonder how I can prevent a piston problem?

Cheers

Paul

Intriguing isn't it, these problems with piston and gasget failures. Discovering the correct torque setting for the head bolts would be a start. The 172cc Black Devil, on which (as I understand it) the Macro engine is based might supply an answer. The motor does have a manual which can be found here. It outlines various torque settings that some who understand these things may find useful.

20080916-8trntqdxr2gji7ehqhk44632h.jpg

20080916-qgxh2sabq5jjifp9pdcjjinxuw.jpg

20080916-br42wrc93p4sfkjsij6ekqyghr.jpg

20080916-cc5uyhg2cg5ikxjh14priuiggn.jpg

I am categorically NOT saying that these figures are correct, just that, "this is what I have found out."

You must verify the figures from official sources... as I have tried to do. :wink:

Intriguing isn't it, these problems with piston and gasget failures. Discovering the correct torque setting for the head bolts would be a start. The 172cc Black Devil, on which (as I understand it) the Macro engine is based might supply an answer. The motor does have a manual which can be found here. It outlines various torque settings that some who understand these things may find useful.

You must verify the figures from official sources... as I have tried to do. :wink:

Norman, thanks this is better than the 125 scooter manual (same engine?) I've used for torque info.

Is it me or is the Parajet manual missing from http://www.parajet.com/index.php?id=61 and/or http://www.parajet.com/index.php?id=15 or is it available somewhere else?

Cheers

Paul

P.S. I'd still like to know the root cause of these engine failures before I face my Fresh Breeze mate :oops::oops::oops:

Whilst not wanting to take the role of Parajet apologist, I think their attention has been distracted away from the mundane world of manuals by the frenetic pace that they are developing new products.

As for the root cause of the engine failures, I understand this is under investigation though speculation elsewhere has assigned the problem to... the intensity of Bernoulli's in the air, alien alloys being used in the creation of the photon collider ring, the hand of God or the misguided hand of man.

Me, I think the hole created in a piston was caused by the mixture setting being mall adjusted on the weak side creating a hot spot. What else would cause local heating intense enough to cause a piston melt through, but not a general seizure? Head bolt torque settings may explain blown gaskets. I am no expert, this is a reliable and well proven motor - there IS a reason for each and every problem which sits seperate to design flaw imho.

:roll:

Errr, no Pete, please don't take 'mall adjusted' to mean ' Pete didn't set his carb up right'.

it might have been knocked in transit or other factors may have caused the mixture to become excessively lean. One theory has it that leaks around the carb itself may have affected the balance of air to fuel, who knows? Was the carb set up correctly in the first place? Please don't think I'm trying to allocate blame for a failure here, these theories have been arrived at just looking at the problem, doing a bit of research then theorizing. As you have proved, that can be annoying and I appreciate that.

Again, there was a reason these individual events occurred, establishing the cause then working back should give us the array of possibilities. Something as mundane as sludge in the fuel filter robbed one motor of power and took the pilot out of the game. Given the environment you were operating in any one of a number of these external factors could be responsible for the failures that occurred. I also realize that blame for the failures has (at least partially) been laid at the door of the operatives which I think... is a little less than scientific.

I don't think we should dwell too long on this, finger pointing in either direction isn't going to change anything. What needs to be established is a robust maintenance schedule for motors and accurate technical information for servicing. imho

More importantly, what do think?

What was the pop off pressure and the retaining pressure Pete? Has it subsequently been looked at? Mines not quite right either but as I'm flying at low revs I guess it doesn't get that hot. I'm waiting for my mate to bring his guage round before I thrash it to great altitude for long periods but am content at quarter throttle for now. I had heard that as many as 50% of new carbs can be poorly set. I know not why. There are 4 here and only 2 were right, funnily enough!

It was not at all negative what it did was set out the facts. The whole thread is negative against Parajet and very unfair to them. The issue needs to be addressed even if it is s little embarrassing to us.

Are you at least prepared to allow the public admission that an imballanced prop was fitted to Mikes engine and it was that that shook it to bits ?