Comms poll ~ what's in your pocket?

norman

Which if any radio do you regularly take into the air with you?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which if any radio do you regularly take into the air with you?

• VHF Airband
    • 2M

You answered my next question.

After watching your inspiring video, I was going to ask what the frequency is for the Heathrow tower.

Would be fun to take off and land like the guy in the vid (and possibly a couple of touch and go's??) using the main runway at Heathrow. Maybe if I ask nicely?

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Best regards,

Ian.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered these articles from an experienced instructor. I found them useful despite being from the other side of the pond. Took me straight back to my RAF flying scholarship days!

http://www.fatboyzaviation.com/columns/bw/index_bw_files/page0009.htm

http://www.fatboyzaviation.com/columns/bw/index_bw_files/page0010.htm

http://www.fatboyzaviation.com/columns/bw/index_bw_files/page0011.htm

http://www.fatboyzaviation.com/columns/bw/index_bw_files/page0012.htm

Especially liked this bit -

"Sages repeat this ditty to help us understand the hierarchy of aviation importance:

· Aviate

· Navigate

· Communicate.

This means fly the airplane in a controlled manner first, stay aware of where you are going secondly, and lastly, talk on the radio."

Best regards,

Ian.

.......... Took me straight back to my RAF flying scholarship days!

This means fly the airplane in a controlled manner first, stay aware of where you are going secondly, and lastly, talk on the radio."

Best regards,

Ian.

This sort of thing?.......

wheres nowadays things are taken much more seriously.........

When you get right down to it the motivation behind my project is to overcome the comms questions that we are facing in the sport. Producing a radio that is reliable, high quality in an audio sense, requires only one box and is legitimate. It would be nice if it cost then same as the reverse of the coin but inevitably it will cost a little more.

Just heard back from the radio licensing office at the CAA. They said that CAA no longer is responsible for approving radios; this is now donw by EASA. So doe sthat mean that any radio with an E at the end of its name is an approved set as in Icom's A6E? which does exists, there is one on ebay just now. They cost £170 retail and can be locked to a frquency so would be ideal for 118.675Mhz without a operator license?

Well if you go to the ICOM UK web site, there is a FAQ reply that says none of the sets is type approved and they will update as and when.

I wonder whether the 'E' designation is actually for 'Europe' as the US sets are slightly different in that they have the NOAH weather channels built in.

I wouldn't let the lack of type approval stop you from buying what is an excellent set.

Phil

heh heh little point in exchanging one excellent if illegal system set for another excellent but stil illegal one!

I am just trying to get to the bottom of the whole radio thing and am finding as much bending of the rules by the self righteous as by the self acknowledged reprobates!!!!

10ish litres all round.

Thanks phil. If I do go over to the light side I will buy a brand new one probably an a6E or a yaesu. At present i will stick to what i have and know and see what develops from Normans consortium.

A deafening silence from them at the moment Francis. Had a chat with Eddie of Micro Avionics and he seems to think that given a decent aerial system, the A24 and its siblings works well. I am pursuing this alternate route for the moment, research really and will see where it leads. 20 watts of transmitter power beats 1-5 any day and if the aerial system and the rest are kosher... we will see.

I am completely uncompromising on this issue, I want crystal clear comms, anything less is not acceptable.

Yes totally agree. I do think that we blame the radio when it is really the arial and the headset, the wiring and connections and their shielding from local interference and our (well my) deaf old ears that are in need of attention!

Eddy sounds like he is on the case. I have been impressed by the Icom A6E and at £170 it is very affordable. The A24 has the same tronics I think but extra nav functions? So with equally well presented peripherals these should be contenders in your contest. I have also been very impressed by the avionics headset that Simon got for me from Eddy; stunning.

Well I mentioned this before but got no response;

At the risk of this being a commercial post, I'm hoping to import several of Robin Rumbolts RFI reduction kits from the USA. Hopefully will sell here for about £20 and are rumoured to be very effective.

Cutting down on engine electrics produced noise is very important, if not key, to having clear comms.

However outdated the airband VHF AM system is, it remains the only way you can talk to ground agencies. If you want to do so, you've got to go down that route. AM is quite susceptible to RFI, so hopefully these kits can make a real difference.

Perhaps I could make this a 'club purchase' deal? any thoughts?

RF interference is a problem, suppression is certainly going to be part of the answer if it is present in significant quantity from our motors. What form does the kit take Phil, an inline box? If I knew exactly what it did I could 'ask Eddie' if he thinks it would help. I am talking to him again next week.

If it does improve reception/transmission quality even slightly then I would seriously consider it.

Edited by Guest

I have a pair of Midland G7 as recommended by Micro Avionics when I bought their paramotor headset. Whilst I'm on the ground I can communicate with someone else without problems (altough a bit crackly) ,the moment I or they take to the sky all I get is a garbled noise! When I was on my training course we used basic headsets with cheap Cobra radios and communication was perfect.

Anybody with the same set up as me got any tips, I'm sure I saw these in someone's signature but can't think who!