question

Guest leoibb

my friend was informed to buy a product from paramotorsuk called aerospace spray and apparently it give your wing twice the life and stop porosity? when he recieved it there was no mention on the can about anything to do with wings , it was basically pvc restorer? anyone heard or used this, i cant see there being such a product that prolongs life of wings or we would all be using it?

this stuff is sold on paramotors uk i did find it strange maybe my mate has been filled with it a bit lol

Developed for aerospace and aviation applications, 303 is the world's most effective UV screening product. Restores and maintains a like-new appearance, texture and colour. Repels dust, soiling and staining.

303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials “like new” year after year.

303 Tech Facts PDF (239Kb)

If you need any assistance selecting the correct 303 Product then please call us on 01767 681758

Club

Lee

I did hear of a trick with silicon spray on a porous wing but would guess it wont be recommended practice. For one thing, if the fabric's porous, through lots of use, the lines and stitching have probably served their time too.

I started to repair a chainsaw, which I'd worn out by the time I reached 24 years, some years ago. Armed with a little knowledge, I replaced the piston (£30) It fired up ok but then realised it needed a new barrel too (£60) Then the coil packed up (£30) next was the sender (CDI) (£30) A new chainsaw (improved model) was about £ 130 without getting my hands dirty. I'm sorry if it sounds like I harp on a bit but I've found false economy to be a waste of time with most of the other machines onfarm in my experience (30 years farming) Hard when your backs against the wall but spending a pound to save a few bob will keep it there too.

Most of the above saw the financial angle. Take the safety angle first though if you want to dabble

Regards

Dave

yes dead right on that one, it just got me curious about what was claimed i just thought i would ask if anyone knew of it you still farmer with land? lol you know whats coming next ha ha

I remember reading a thread about a chap who regularly washed his wing in a type of fabric conditioner and it restored the fabric and lines like knew. American person I think. I would like to know if it is true. After flying the lovely knew revolution my poor Action is looking mighty old and tired. (Don't tell her I said that) :wink:

Whitters.

All wings are made from nylon fabric, different ones with different names have different coatings to make them airtight and uv proof. Many of the coatings are silicon based and form a plastic "skin" over the surface and seal the weave and shield the nylon from breakdown under uv light.

There are products that are compatible with some fabrics. The thing is knowing which are compatible and will not breakdown the existing coating but merge with it. I dont know but suspect that the one in question will merge with skytex but not sure about it on gelvenor (need to find out from cameron fabrics who make most of this stuff).

I asked the question of the direktor of Independence Gliders a while back. He said his concern was that any "after market" coating did not stiffen the fabric in any way. He said to imagine a piece of tissue paper coated in varnish....it would be protected from damage sure, but would tear very easily. He warned against making the rip stop nylon more "tearable" by stiffening it.

Provided the coating is compatble with Skytex (appriate solvent) and does not stiffen it at all it probably wont do any harm. But to be effective it would need to be regularly applied before the existing coating breaks down at all, otherwise you are just making a deteriorating wing look like new but remain degraded by uv (although it would prbably make it less porous).

I am not so convinced that porosity (unless really bad) is such a big deal. Makes the wing slightly more prone to remaining parachutal a little longer but otherwise perform well enough.

Interesting

We use a product that is used for moisture, stain, etc repellancy for any porous surface. Currently used on stone, concrete, timber, fabric. It is basically a non toxic, water based product that consists of fluorinated carbon atoms (as Teflon) in a weak acrylic solution. I think the best comparison would be Scotchguard. The product works by affecting surface tension. I had thought about mentioning on here before but having spoken with SW it seems (as mentioned above) as though a wing that has got to the point it is porous is probably becoming unsafe anyway.

Would be interesting to try it on an old wing; just to see how it performs, I can also ask the manufacturer to give comment on compatibility with wing materials. One concern would be its flexibility, which may be limited

Any Guinea pigs?

Jon N

yes dead right on that one, it just got me curious about what was claimed i just thought i would ask if anyone knew of it you still farmer with land? lol you know whats coming next ha ha

Now let's see. :roll: I know :idea: You wanna come to one of the Fly-ins that I hold at the farm?

Oh go on then.

Dave