Shackles (as used on most motors)

admin (Simon W)

There has been a number of concernes regarding the (untested) shackles that are fouind on most low and mid hang point Paramotors.

I am currently arranging for a large batch of the two most common types used to be X-rayed. (NOTE THIS IS NOT A LOAD TEST) this is just so that they can be 100% clear of imperfections.

There is a company in Wales DMM who (CAN LOAD TEST) Random Shackles from the batch of Xrayed ones.

This is a simple but effective way of helping to solve this matter.

I will update this thread as and when.

SW :D

Some more background information from Jim Carolan, recently resigned BPMA Chairman and Lemmings Safety Officer.

From here

General Category / General Discussion / Re: Safety Notice on: August 04, 2007, 12:13:49

The screws that I am referring to are the ones through the shackles both where the wing attaches to the arms and where the harness attaches to the arms.

It is my opinion that the Parajet, certainly the version that I had is designed in such a way that the problems don't occur in the same way as the other swinging arm machines. I would, however, be inclined to remove the arm hinge pins and inspect them just for peace of mind.

Can I just say this, and any engineer will agree, nowhere on any moving part should there be any thread in direct contact with a thin walled tube. Let me clarify that. If you have a screw going through the arm, there should be a plain section on the screw up to and slightly beyond the arm.

You should be able to do up the nut tightly without it gripping on the arm. If it grips the arm, you have the wrong screw and you should not be flying it. I don't think we have any high G fliers among us, but if we have I would reccomend that if they are flying swinging arm machines they should not fly high stress maneuvers at least until the AAIB findings are published.

I agree with the previous posting, I would buy two sets of screws. Fit one set immediately, inspect after 10 hours reinspect after another ten hours, replace as soon as you see wear and immediately purchase another set of screws. This will reduce down time and give you the confidence of knowing that you are on sound equipment.

I am still awaiting information from Andy on how many hours his screws had done, but I was there when he fitted them in France last year and I know he does not fly great amounts of hours.

Jim

Lemmings Safety Officer