Micro Met from local pilots please

Guest francis777

I am now in a warm dry house studying the met and trying to find a safe route to John O groats for the guys.

Down to four pilots (+ Dan the Camera Man) now but carrying the hopes of all six (7).

I desperately need any local info on micro met to put a route together that stays near to main roads, makes use of local conditions and prevailing winds and keeps away from high ground and inaccesible terrain.

The original route, designed for maximum publicity and media exposure is no longer viable in these challenging conditions.

I am proposing a more easterly track to avoid Cumbria and perhaps go up the east coast and across the forth?

If you have any info to help from Sheffield to Edinburgh please post.

There may be a brief slot tommorrow at six am to get away from Belper before the cold front arrives. I have briefed the pilots not to take off again after the first fuel stop near sheffield unless we are sure they will not get "gust fronted".

Their current position in Belper is not ideal so we also need local ppg pilots to find us sweeter take offs. Dont forget the guys are exhausted and would benefit from nice grassy into wing slopes to get off from.

They are also damp and any barns or granny annexes would provide much needed respite from the weather.

Yes I know this whole thing is crazy and no-one in their right mind would consider carrying on but these guys have gone into "True Grit"-"True Brit" mode and nothing is going to stop them!

(Unless I say it is too unsafe to risk flying on ;-)

Francis,

The guys are airborne and running under high cloud bases. They left the ground early (around 0600) this morning. After a long conversation with Simon last night I understand they are happy following the route as planned and will adjust as required if they encounter weather (or anticipate it) later. I cannot micro-manage the route from Shanghai and I offer that you don't need to do so either from the UK or the Isle of Wight.

The team is now a smaller, more cohesive unit and a little easier to maneuver and support from the ground.

As for 'True Brit mode' - Flight Safety is paramount here and each pilot has a responsibility to themselves and their team mates to ensure that what they are doing remains safe and legal. This responsibility is particularly heavy on the Team Leader who has it foremost in his mind. Every one of those presently flying this event intends being around to see some sunshine on the heather, they are fully in possession of their faculties, well rested and fed and fully up for what they are doing. At the last glance they are past the Peak District and south of Huddersfield.

Unless I say it is too unsafe to risk flying on :wink:

With respect, I feel you might reconsider your final comment as it reads a little presumptuous despite the wink.

I am sure you didn't intend it to be so :wink:

Pilots Names

1. Simon Westmore Leader

2. Simon Payne

3. Richard Whitmarsh

4. Pete Baldwin

5. Dan Burton (air film unit)

Mike Silvester retired at Lambourn after a magnificent battle and some personal bests.

Francis retired at Derby due to other commitments.

Pilots Names

Francis retired at Derby due to other commitments.

Just to clarify and correct that last statement. (I see no reason to be coy about this).

I have no other commitments at present, only the tip to tip mission.

I remain fully committed to THIS project and wish it success. In order to permit the project to continue and mainatain a backup engine I chose not to fly after landing out on the Lambourn/Derby leg, but preserve the spare engine for possible use later.

I retired from the active team at Derby after a fundamntal disagreement with the continuation of the perplanned route.

I too had a conversation with the team leader last night but appear to have misunderstood the outcome.

That being so I am now actively promoting the project and watching the progress keenly but am no longer in direct contact with the operational decision process.

God be with you all.

Yes of course leo.

6 pilots flying from lands end to john o groats. The tip to tip of UK mainland. The purpose(s)? To raise money for the Forces Children's trust and regionaql air ambulancecharities. To promote the sponsors brands and expose the wings and motors to a "testing" environment. To promote the sport of paramotoring to the general public and gain acceptance of it as a valid branch of aviation. To have a great adventure and to create an interesting documentary on a DVD.

It has alreday been on tv in the regions and the local radio stations en-route. The full story may appear on tv onnce the DVD is edited and if a broadcaster buy it and air it. In fact seven started and only five remain. The two who are no longer flying are filling other roles and functions to keep the event moving.

Thanks for your support, dont forget the donations portal at www.tiptotip.co.uk.

As for 'True Brit mode' - Flight Safety is paramount here and each pilot has a responsibility to themselves and their team mates to ensure that what they are doing remains safe and legal. This responsibility is particularly heavy on the Team Leader who has it foremost in his mind. :wink:

Just curious as to what fuel tank capacity the TIP to TIP pilots have on their motors? I have been told they are alot more than 10 litres Norman. Is that true?

I am just a little concerned any DVD/Photos/Media coverage might be self incriminating.

Felius

The Macro comes with a 13 litre tank. Originally we had intended to replace these tanks with Volution Compact tanks when the motors were built by the T2T team at the factory. My own motor went down there at the same time for a smaller tank to be fitted. (MIke and I supplied our own motors for the event and the rest were supplied by Parajet). I was not comfortable with the tank security of the smaller tank in the larger space so I declined and continued to use the bladder inserted within my tank to reduce its capacity to ten litres. I imagine the rest folowed suit as they all have the standard tank but appeared to only hold ten when they were filled by the ground crew.

i think the reasons are great but opening it up to the public it raises questions as to if the manystart to use these machines then would that not just bring the government in to it and find a way to make people pay as in a licence or somethin else pretty obvious but the more people use these the more accidents there will be , i know when i learned of paramotors only 12 month back knew no one who had even heard of it but now there are seven people within a 2 mile radius that own them and that aint through my self tellin them so people are catchin on fast, i am just curious about the way it will go with all the exposure yes its good for paramotor companies and wing manufacturers also the charities but i wonder about the licence or maybe other things that may come with it . or maybe nothin will come of it i dont know whats ya thoughts on it