They are off

dantheman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackbirdy,

I have no reason to believe that my Macro will not do every bit as well as Richard's. His made it across around 900 miles without a sneeze nor a visit to a workshop. When Gilo gets to the bottom of the issues experienced I have no doubt that they will all emulate the best performer. One of the reasons that Parajet provided the motors and the support was to test the Macro against a harsh environment. The environment certainly did its job! A stronger product will emerge, of that you can be sure.

My own feeling is that had we had better field technical support, under normal flying conditions they would all have made it. This is NOT a criticism of Parajet or our own GST, there is a limit to the financial resources that can be devoted to an event and Gilo did all that he could. When the cost is fully counted we will see that his contribution was enormous. To know that guy is to hold a bucket load of respect for him, he will down tools and help if you call him to the limit sometimes of his ability and resources. He is a 'doer' - not a whiner and excuser. I call that admirable and rare these days.

Our guys didn't have the space for tooling or the physical and mental resources to support the event and engineer at the same time. What they did manage was Herculian and very impressive. You do what you can with what you have - that's life!

It is very easy to stand on the sidelines and fault find an event like this as it was not 'big budget' and had no full time support. We all had other jobs and commitments to fill. Given the limitations we all worked under I think we may be pleased with history's judgement. The DVD will show you what it means to take on the weather with a paramotor and dance around terrain at the same time. All from the safety of your armchair...... As for those who judge - adventurous undertakings like this one tend to work outside what is acceptable for 'normal' operations. Had normal limitations applied the event may well have been abandoned at Land's End when the weather picture did its thing and promised a rough ride.

Given the conditions that prevailed, the distances involved and the limited resources, I think the lads did an amazing job.

Fortune smiled as well, there were probably a few 'dear departed' up there hiding behind clouds arguing with the Sky-Gods for clemency in the name of a noble cause - if you believe in that sort of thing.... :wink:

GOD.jpg

Edited by Guest

For what it is worth, my own view is that the particular problem we encountered will be traced to a single component of the ignition system which is oursourced and utilised on many motors not just Parajet. If I am correct then the trip has served Parajet well in finding and correcting the fault and possibly recalling a few Macros to replace that component.

This is my second Parajet, having first had a Volution Compact. I have every confidence in the manufacturer and the brand. These are superbly engineered machines from a dedicated and highly supportive company. Quality control of outsourced components is always a difficult problem, the test is whether your manufacturer has the comitment and the integrity to honour its warranty. I have found that Giles not only does this passionately but extends his suppoort well beyond.

An amusing quip from BBy, I know, but potentially damaging in a very small highly competitive market. Our forum is special in its view of itself as a responsible and authorititive source of accurate information. Lets keep it that way?

re Isle of wight tip to tip:-

Dont forget the "round the island challenge"

Butterfly paragliding has set the rules for a round the island speed record challenge. All you have to do is to register your attempt, follow the rules and set a time. You could be the first person round the island by paramotor! and set the reord to be beaten by the next attempt.

I suspect it will be held by someone on a Paramania Revolution driven by a Parajet Macro before the summer is over, but you may have other ideas!!!!!!!!!! Possibly a synthesis powered by an adventure ;-) ??? Or do we know someone with a competitive spirit on an H&E with his own personal film crew on a Monster????????????? 10 litre tanks only please heh heh

Edited by Guest

A few people have asked...

If you want a copy of the DVD and the form has not worked on the www.tiptotip.co.uk site, you can get your name on the list by sending a blank e-mail to simon at 'this website' with 'DVD Register' in the subjet line.

You will not get any e-mail from me or anyone else except to be given the information to pre order as soon as the time comes.

I think that covers it...

SW :D