RECOMENDATIONS OF NEW WINGS FOR BEGINNER

Guest leoibb

Two spring immediately to mind....the PowerPlay Sting which is actually a Swing Arcus (so if going for older second hand wing look for that one) or the Paramania Go-fly which is really a Gin Bolero (likewise).

The Arcus and the Bolero are very similar and fly beautifully. They are well proven and there is a good second hand market. You can retro fit the power risers to them also.

Both can be flown with and without motor and both have a DHV1-2 rating, the Sting also has a DULV rating.

:D

well that is good my pal hs a gin bolera 3 so he is sorted i have a edel atlas which is a old wing an a action which bein new i wouldnt attemp to fly but read a lot on the atlas and sees a stable wing but not sure under power do you have any thoughts?

well that is good my pal hs a gin bolera 3 so he is sorted i have a edel atlas which is a old wing an a action which bein new i wouldnt attemp to fly but read a lot on the atlas and sees a stable wing but not sure under power do you have any thoughts?

the edel atlas was a nice wing in its day, but its a) probably porous as hell by now, and b) too small and c) a bit slow and draggy. the atlas was a 2nd generation wing, probably dates back to 1990.

if it was large enough and the nylon not porous, then it might be OK, I suspect it will be too small for you with a motor, and i doubt very much if its still flyable, get a porosity check and line check done .. but to be honest, the check may be more than the wing is worth .. it

The GT is just way way too advanced for a newbie, leave well alone until you have some hours under your belt.

ah good point this edel is 1997 xl so weight is ok , i did try it for a short time earlier in week not really experienced but it was very slow took me up ok but didnt give full power as i wa concerened with how the wing would react, so i would really like to get a wing that is up to date and right for paramotor beginner, what is second generation wings?

Go for a Reflex wing I recon.

Paramania Revolution (beginner / Inter)

This is the wing that we are using to fly the Tip to Tip, and my personal wing, and the one I teach with.

Under propper instruction the Revo is a great wing for a newbie, (ask all of my students)

Call for Paramotor Club members discount.

SW :D

...The GT is just way way too advanced for a newbie, leave well alone until you have some hours under your belt.

He said it was an Action which doesn't necessarily mean an Action GT which is a different kettle of fish for a newbie. The older Action (also known as a Trapper) is a great wing that has the same profile as the ReAction.

yes it is just action not gt however i aint sure but do i need to put brake imput to lift and will i come in fast on this wing?

The Action and ReAction are great wings, but are not the wing for a total beginner.

Mine needs loads of speed to lanuch, for landing this speed must then be bled aware before you flare or !!!.

Also, it turns so quick it will surprise you if you overuse the brakes.

That said, the Action/ReAction section is still winning the competitions, it is almost unknown to collaspe when going fast on reflex (hands off the brakes), recovers well from spins etc. and is still the choice of Mr Carnet, who knows his stuff.

Personally, I agree with Francis. I don't see the need/advantage to learn/start to fly on a Reflex wing. Please learn on a normal wing (with DHV1-2 rating?) as they are designed to be easy to launch and land. Also, they require less energy (running speed) to launch.

For most people this all means:

Reflex = more failed launches, exhaustion, so more time on the ground, poor fast landings and a damaged cage.

Normal wing = launch easier. less failed launches, more time in the air, poor slow landing and a dirty cage.

Once you've sussed it, then use the second hand Action or other reflex wing :-)

I'm not saying don't own/buy a reflex wing, as they transform long distance flying.

Cheers

Paul

yes good explanation the prob i have is i got a edel atlas old but it seems in very good nik xl so the weight is ok and i got this action which i did try run a field to find it wasnt liftin me so i thought forget that one but i did go up on the edel with tongue in cheek what ya think to synthesis i not sure if it is a slow wing or not id sooner do what ya say get a rock solid wing that is easy to launch even if it is slow if the synthesis comes in on that catergory then il have one if not i will look for somethin different or stick with this old atlas i think from what i have read it is a solid wing or was inits day

What motor did you end up buying Lee? Dont forget that comes into the equation when doing your sums. If you have a good fast wing which also has a good glide ratio that doesn't mind being loaded a bit you'll keep up with the crowd and still fly on when they're landing for a re-fuel. Try before you buy would be my advice. Measure the fuel, fly for an hour and see if it suits you. Try it in nil wind too if you get the chance. That's the hardest launch.

dave

i ended up gettin a walkerjet secondhand but its got plenty of power didnt get to fly at weekend cos when doing forward launch i knock the power switch which kills the engine lol i dont have prob on reverse so i am gonna change the bulky hand throttle

its the simonini engine seems a strong thing pretty heavy but i guess ya better havin the weight and it strength rather than flimsy which breaks easily that was my thoughts at the time i guess