Origo compass/altimeter watch

Merlin

THinking of getting something like this, seems cheaper than sunnto version [/url]www.surfmountain.com/default.aspx?pid=gAIHJad1912bnz0aEad1913d.

Is this a useful piece of kit for paramotoring or just a waste of money.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Merlin

I bought one last year when I first started flying the compass needs to be horizontal to the horizon or it gives a false reading (dont know what metal parts on paramotor do to it as the macro is aluminium) the alti meater compares quite well against the Garmin 60 csx,the baro works quite well as well .

I also carry a magnetic compass on a pin ( the ones used to stick on car windows) but if held to close to the garmin it interferes with compass on it :D

Hope this helps

mark :D

I got one of the Suunto's from the US for not much more than that one. Compass seems very reliable, even in the metal environment of the car, you can recalibrate it in about 30 seconds before you fly, just to be safe. It's also an altimeter and barometer together with a slightly slow and coarse variometer. Oh, it tells the time too :)

I've also got a really good Suunto scuba wrist compass (magnetic) that is very resistant to being off horizontal.

107.jpg

compassnavforblog4.jpg

Diving compass' are ideal imho, they are designed to be easily readable under difficult conditions whilst finning on a given heading.

I have one in a rubber housing/wrist strap that works very well. The quality of the compass and it's housing is excellent and it has good tolerance to tilt. I think a decent quality compass is a sound investment, if it is also of reasonable size it will actually be useable as the graduations will be sufficiently widely spaced to enable accurate headings to be flown.

Make sure that you really know how to use your particular unit - practice by selecting and holding a desired heading with it. Wander around a field holding particular headings - you might look weird while you are doing it, but the practice imprints the procedure in your mind. Sounds obvious but everyones capacity drops a little when they fly due to distractions and workload.

Tip: After selecting a heading to fly, if you keep the wings level, you will not turn. You don't need to stare at the compass continually to hold a good heading. Developing a strong appreciation of the track you are flying (sight it across the ground, you can actually detect it and be aware of it) really helps you find and maintain your desired track. Making the effort to establish the relatinship between you Heading, Track and the drift angle that you are experiencing between them on each leg that you fly is the key to successful track keeping.

GPS compasses are really handy too, but when you have them switched on they use a lot of battery power, that's why they tend to switch themselves off after a short time by default.

Ooops! I hope that didn't sound like a lecture..... :shock::roll::lol:

The Suunto Vector is a good bit of kit, I believe Rob (the roofer) has one, I have the X-Lander - both great for flying legally while carrying minimal instruments, I think you can get the Vector from simply hike (through Quidco) delivered for £107 which makes it £27 more expensive, food for thought.