Togsie - Training Blog

togsie

Again far too long between flights but the call from Eddie to come and have a look see at his newly acquired field was an opportunity that I couldn't miss. The weather forecast wasn't that good but Eddie had promised good company and good beer at the local pub if it wasn't flyable.

The weather did decide to play ball and I did get to fly - IN MY SEAT! And that really is the story, no dramas and no pre-flight nerves, even though the strife had come along to watch me fly.

It's taken a long time to get to this stage but it's a great feeling to get the call to "come fly" and to have the confidence to say "yes", and to take myself to explore some new scenery.

My next objective is accumulate some flying hours so that I'm prepared for the PMC flying holiday in France next April.

Regards to all.

Togsie.

The weather did decide to play ball and I did get to fly - IN MY SEAT! And that really is the story, no dramas and no pre-flight nerves, even though the strife had come along to watch me fly.

Regards to all.

Togsie.

Hats off to you Togsie for no pre-flight nerves.

I get them a-plenty before launch particularly in light wind/nil wind conditions. I'm sure if I could exorcise my nerves I would handle my forward launches much more efficiently.

Something for me to work on but I'm glad to see that you seem to have got over that hurdle.

Cheers

Mark

:propbreak:

Again far too long between flights but the call from Eddie to come and have a look see at his newly acquired field was an opportunity that I couldn't miss. The weather forecast wasn't that good but Eddie had promised good company and good beer at the local pub if it wasn't flyable.

It's taken a long time to get to this stage but it's a great feeling to get the call to "come fly" and to have the confidence to say "yes", and to take myself to explore some new scenery.

My next objective is accumulate some flying hours so that I'm prepared for the PMC flying holiday in France next April.

Regards to all.

Togsie.

About time you got up there again and good to hear that all went well doing it on your own.

Keep it up now and dont leave it to long between flights.

It was good to see you Ken, as well as Tony, Jon and Alan (came all the way from Saudi to see you fly LOL)

I am surprised to hear that you were nervous as it didn't seem like that yesterday. I would be interested to see the video that Anyas took , it could be used as a training aid!

You forgot to mention that you still got the beer and good company as well.

See you again soon.

Eddie

Hats off to you Togsie for no pre-flight nerves.

I get them a-plenty before launch particularly in light wind/nil wind conditions. I'm sure if I could exorcise my nerves I would handle my forward launches much more efficiently.

Something for me to work on but I'm glad to see that you seem to have got over that hurdle.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I'm sure that some nerves are probably a good thing, In my case though I was a gibbering wreck that couldn't even master the zip on my flight suit.

What helped me was to develop a routine and then not beat myself up if I didn't feel like flying (even when everyone else had taken to the air). Once the pressure was off the nerves subsided and I started to enjoy it.

Regards.

Togsie.

You forgot to mention that you still got the beer and good company as well.

Eddie

Eddie, please forgive me for failing to acknowledge the great hospitality and award winning ales. I think that I must still be a little bitter about the fact that you drank all the coffee. :)

Regards.

Ken.

Regards to all.

Togsie.

About time you got up there again and good to hear that all went well doing it on your own.

Cheers Pete,

can I claim a spot landing now please? and does it count if it was ever so slightly on my a**e?

Regards.

Ken

Regards to all.

Togsie.

Cheers Pete,

can I claim a spot landing now please? and does it count if it was ever so slightly on my a**e?

Regards.

Ken

depends on how close to the spot you intended to land at that you landed?

Arse is good, feet are better :D

Well done

• 1 month later...

Sunday, I met up with Eddie C, Mark and Tony for late afternoon buzz around the countryside.

When I arrived Eddie was busy preparing for a x country flight to Lambourn and asked if I wanted to join him. Tempting though it was I hadn't planned a route and wasn't sure that I could keep up with Eddie, or if I lost him, that I'd be able to find my own way to Lambourn so I declined. As things turned out it was probably a good decision because Eddie had some engine problems and had to return to the field.

I settled instead for a fly around the local area and very nice (although a little bumpy at times) it was too. No more problems getting into my seat and adjusting the hang points has sorted out my angle of dangle on landing.

I've now started thinking about some longer x country flights. At the moment I'm comfortable enough in my seat but I'm wondering how I'd feel after a 2 hour flight. My flying position is quite upright with no back support, can I do anything to improve things?

Another thing that I'd like to improve on are my turns, at the moment they're quite lumbering, more QE2 than Jet Ski. Something else to work on.

Regards.

Togsie.

Great looking field Togsie for you and the rest of the boys.

I went up to my TO field for a quick flight on Friday and found the farmer was ploughing it :( , so that's that field out of the question for quite a while.

Just as a matter of interest do you assemble/check/warm the motor before getting the wing out :?:

That's my usual procedure so that the wing is exposed to sunlight for the minimum time.

Keep the blog going, cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

my usual routine is:

1. Assemble and run up the motor on the floor.

2. A bit of ground handling then lay out the wing ready to take off.

3. Run up the engine on my back.

4. Clip in and fly.

I'm really do try to keep unnecessary UV exposure down to a minimum.

Regards.

Togsie.