Personnal progression in the sport

Julien4788

Don't sandbag us, those are pretty good... You haven't got stuck only being able to get three in before you lose your timing :) 
I'm no expert, I could go over the top when I was free flying a small wing but now I am afraid of snapping one of my bodged up dog-legs... And I'm getting old!

They are fun and good practice for exiting any wild departures from normal flight.
If you initiate very late (in order to loop or go BIG) and you don't have enough energy, be prepared to momentarily bury both breaks at or around the apex or your lines will go slack and you will lose a large portion of your wing (I'm not 100% sure of the exact timing sat hear behind my keyboard so take that for what it is)  
Its best to "inch" your way into getting bigger, that way if there are any errors you will likely only lose a wing tip.

I think everyone ought to be able to get 50% of their wing under the horizon, 50% is not unreasonably risky and it gives a good feel and confidence in how to bleed off asymmetric energy which is the most likely departure we would see in rowdy air.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 04:25, Blackburn Mark said:

Its best to "inch" your way into getting bigger, that way if there are any errors you will likely only lose a wing tip.

indeed, only once so far i felt like my lines were close to being slack... but i don't know maybe its just that my wing is solid, i haven't even took a collapse yet. better not going into that territory. i must say i'm at 115kg on a 120kg max glider so that must help

• 1 month later...

Working towards improving my kiting skills. Filming myself helps to see what i'm doing wrong. Here at the end i brake the opposite side. the collapse was recoverable. Winds were 20-25kmh. I was recovering collapses later that day but i wasn't in frame sadly. I will continue to kite regularly as it seems to help my launches alot.

• 3 weeks later...