Personnal progression in the sport

Julien4788

Ok so there you go, starting this thread for people to follow my progression in this sport. I will post many videos and i think it'll be cool to see the progression i make.

For those who don't know me ( most of the people in this forum). My name is Julien i am a Quebecer ( French speaking person from the province of Québec in Canada) and i took up this sport when i was in college at 19 years old in 2018 and did my first flight in september 2018 and my last training flight (my 30th) in september this year. So yeah it took me 2 years to complete the paramotor training that is required for my canadian ppg license. All that is because of my job on a big farm which doesn't have a schedule so i couldn't plan anything with my instructor not knowing if i would work that evening/morning.  Right now i am studying agriculture in University.

So since i got my license this fall i am flying every occasion i have and just did my 65th flight.

I did my first 11 flights in training with a nervures estive ( 30m first 3 flights then 26m).

After that i have only flown my 2019 ITV Billy 22.5m which was kind of a big step from the boaty estive but i want to dedicate a youtube video about that .

All training flights were completed with a miniplane top 80 with a fixed high hangpoint

Now i am flying a 2008 Ros 125 on a Airpro  frame with high hangpoint fixed J-bar. So far i like the frame alot it has good geometry but i would like to move to a weight shift machine when i am better at taking off. I got this machine cheap from my instructor. It didn't run much since 2012  and will do for my first couple hundred flights.

So now we are here: Took off yesterday into some nasty air, nailed the landing like always but i didn't like the experience in those gusts altough it was probably still safe.

• Like 3

Yes it is frozen ground, it ain't too bad it's very sandy soil so normally water doesn't pool on the surface unless it's froze  like this. We had a week below -15c without any snow on the ground so it must be frozen very deep.

I can't wait for summer to be here, gonna get cold soon and we just got around 12 inches of snow so it's protecting the wing but it's harder to run in the snow. Just flew 45 min yesterday at -3C without my heated gloves

Edited by Julien4788

Getting some foot drag practice going. Glad it warmed up, -12C when i left home but -5C when i got in the air.

It was so much fun!! these flights make me want to fly even more even though i flew everyday this week and very tired.

My friend flying a top 80 with a ITV boxer 2 almost blew his prop with his foot drag... He saved it nicely. Looking forward to fly with him again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one is from  october 2020 . First time flying my own machine, different geometry... need to lean into the thrust more. Be more gentle on the toggles too you can see the trailing edges moving alot as i almost trip and almost fall. this was my 31st takeoff

Edited by Julien4788

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today i bought a new frame for my ros 125. It's a paratour 2001 sd frame that had a ros-100 but the crankshaft from that engine broke so the owner sold me the frame,seat,ros reduction gearbox, muffler, spare reed valves,spare clutch, spare propeller... for very cheap.

My idea is to transfer my engine to this new frame because right now i feel like my cage is deformed and the prop is 18cm from the hoop causing it to snag lines when the wing comes up crooked. I already damaged 4-5 lines (only the sheating thank god). Plus the frame has moving  high hangpoint instead of my currently fixed high hangpoint. 

Should do the trick until i get a new paramotor.

https://ibb.co/t8TVHZ3

Edited by Julien4788

flight #79 and #80

Saw a plane very close to me around 400-500' below my feet! definetly spooked me.

My landings are getting better now letting out 1/4 trim on my itv billy. I maybe should try making a 90 degree turn before landing to give it some energy. I should practice it when there at no people nearby tough

i am also babystepping towards wingover, feeling the outside brake as i go at it

Edited by Julien4788

First flight( well i did 5 launches in a row trying to adjust the seat). I like the high moving bar but i realised the seat is probably too small... it's a Large compared to my miniplane XL. So i decided to put the miniplane seat on the frame. As the saying goes '' the simpler the better'' and that is totally right with 5-6 adjustements instead of 12! Though i must admit it was easier to run with the apco seat.

This frame will suit me fine until i get my hands on a pap tinox low hangpoint.

O0Xz53vT3Bxt0Iv5SgAMwkzqs_5TR9ck3ki9ltvs

4 hours ago, alan_k said:

I notice you have both A and A' in your hand for launch. Try just having the A (the centre A lines) in you hand,the launch should be easier.

Split A's were developed for this reason.

I have tried both methods and prefer taking both, i have the impression that it gives me more feel but the difference is slim to none on this wing. What i have found works the best is to trim out 25% so the wing comes up faster and more easily.

I am quite pleased with my takeoffs recently, i am progressing well.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This summer i started doing small wingover. Concentrating on feeling the wing and getting muscle memory to keep some pressure on the outside. as some have stated i could go deeper in the brakes but i am not ready to go over the top yet. Just feeling everything out right now. The video is my third set of wingover ever so it's normal they are not good.

Launches are still getting better. 115 flights done so far confidence is growing but i gotta be carefull not to become complacent.

Will soon  rebuild a moster 185... it should give me the ability to do more wingover  with the better climb rate.

• Like 2