Engine failure

AndyB

I practice engine failure often and try to spot land from high up. However, you can't practice this one. Here is my flight log from Wednesday.

Nitro hrs  
Date Flt length Total mins Total hrs and mins Kit Comments Hours Mins
25-Nov-20 0.3 8612.3 143 32.3 Ac Nitro 200, R2 26m Engine failed at 15 feet 79

This was a zero wind take-off, with trims at neutral (in the middle, so quite fast, but where it is supposed to be for take-off). Engine failed at just the right height for me to swing back and then hit the ground very fast and very hard. I pulled the brakes to my knees, but it felt like they did nothing - I guess as the wing was unloaded. I'm ok, just feels like I am broken. These two photos were taken 5 seconds apart. In the first I have just sat down, in the second I am in that thorn bush about 40 m away, slightly to the left, winded and unable to move!

vlcsnap-2020-11-25-14h43m32s418.thumb.png.5a1b6cda2a688ab7a32828d164815e81.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-25-14h43m42s331.thumb.png.bf8e56688fb367b3aa087da4b0e1d597.png

Thanks guys. Engine failed due to extra thick winter clothing and neck warmer pushing into the electrics just behind my head and wire coming off switch. New AC machines have the switch at the side - I guess I now know why. I couldn't move initially as completely winded. I couldn't even talk to a helpful passer-by. He put everything away for me and I was taken off in an ambulance. Very lucky and I got off with just torn muscles between the ribs in my back. It feels just like broken ribs.  

My paramotor frame now has a healthy leaning back angle. It hit the floor so hard the motor bent the top part of the frame down so the thrust is now a little more downward. Rather weirdly, this will help me as I can't stand up straight at launch! :) 

On 28/11/2020 at 01:29, AndyB said:

Thanks guys. Engine failed due to extra thick winter clothing and neck warmer pushing into the electrics just behind my head and wire coming off switch. New AC machines have the switch at the side - I guess I now know why. I couldn't move initially as completely winded. I couldn't even talk to a helpful passer-by. He put everything away for me and I was taken off in an ambulance. Very lucky and I got off with just torn muscles between the ribs in my back. It feels just like broken ribs.  

My paramotor frame now has a healthy leaning back angle. It hit the floor so hard the motor bent the top part of the frame down so the thrust is now a little more downward. Rather weirdly, this will help me as I can't stand up straight at launch! :) 

so do you mean you accidently hit another engine kill switch? (as opposed to normal thumb switch on throttle)