Upgrading my air conception nitro to 5s or 6s battery

So, lockdown and dark nights - figured I'd do a project. Last few times I've flown when it's cold even with fully charged batteries kept warm inside, the wee 4s 2200 25c lipos that are standard with the nitro have failed to start the nitro. Luckily I had a big 6000 4s for my heated gloves that I strapped on, and with the added max amp and lower voltage drop I manged to get this to start it - just.

Talking to @custom-vince lots of folk upgrade to 5s or 6s as the motor itself is 24v so I thought I'd do it too.

I'll probably do next week, but thought I'd check if anyone else has done here for tips.

My plan is that I've got a  24v 60a relay I might use to upgrade the 12v 30a one, but the tabs are larger than the current ones, so have sourced a 24v 30a too which would be easier - I know the 60a is overkill (fuse is 30a), but u know.. might as well make it last.

I'll check out the wiring too, as it looked to me the start wiring into the relay was a lot thinner than the wire from relay to motor which won't help.

I got 3 new batteries to play with : a new 3300 4s 60c,  2700 5s 35c and a 2200 6s 50c.

All of which are much higher constant discharge amp rating (vs 2.2 x 25 = 55a of the original battery). Though it isn't going to pull more than 30a, a lipo with a discharge massively higher than that with drop voltage much less.

So might find the new 4s is fine, especially with thicker wiring and chunkier relay dropping less too.

If not, I'll step up through 5s and 6s and see what the differences are and let you know.

stu

• Like 1

I use a Turnigy 6 cell, 1000mah, 50c. Super light. It will do between 30 and 40 starts. I have 2 of them, so always keep the spare handy. I use a cell voltage checker and when any cell volts is 3.8 (so less than 3.9!) I then re-charge it. The reason such a small battery can do so many starts is that the higher voltage spins the motor much quicker and it starts instantly. If you get the prime right it starts in under half a second, every time, even after a month!

ps. AC supply them with 6 cell now, but also use a high current relay...which I fitted to mine.

ah, interesting Andy. Yeh, I've sort of went overkill with a 6s 2200 50c - but it still fits in the original fireproof bag and in the same place - so it does sound like that's the one then. As you say, a good quick kick round. Plus, the spark is gonna be proportially higher voltage too of course which is gonna also help.

Just waiting for the 9.8mm spade connectors I'll need to fit the 60amp relay then and I should be good to do it.

stu

• Like 1

fair enough, I'd have did the same if I'd thought to ask. I had a bunch of old lipos from my diy quadcopter and leccy bikes and stuff, but nothing that small in a 6s. acht well, just less times I need to charge it. :-)

spares always good as quick charging usb battery banks anyhoo with a basic usb xt60 adapter.

stu