Flying trip June 2021

AndyB

Might be able to have more than 4....was just going listening to someone who said some of the places have limited space. If we plan where we are going well beforehand we could be a bigger group. I went across France with 13 vehicles last year!

I think get together all those interested first and see how we go. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 10:07, Neilzy said:

Cheers Lee yeah times are tough and was so disappointed with the demise of the Italy trip but hey ho hopefully Dan will sort another next year. 
Chatting with Henry may even sort a boys trip ourselves next year 

Yes, I was well up for the Italy trip. A shame, but these are not normal times. I've still not had any time off work in 2020 (cue violin) - its been a mad year!
Please say hello to Henry for me. One day I'd like to fly to Hillington from my place... I'll have to see if Henry would let me land and refuel there.
Say hi to Cath from Blue Hat!

• 1 month later...

Well that's my car readied for a tour of Scotland...or anywhere! My machine goes on a tow-ball rack......and me on the top. This tent literally goes up in 10 seconds and down in 30. 

I have also been investigating good places to stay/fly and have found a campsite not too from Ben Nevis that has a flat grass field, that they own and say we can use it for flying from. :)

20201222_141736.thumb.jpg.41c5bb92858e9e9d9169944c7c428f31.jpg

• Upvote 1

Search on "roof tent". There are lots on Ebay. However, because I often import stuff for business I imported mine directly from China using sea freight as it cheap, just takes 6 weeks. You also need an import agent in the port if you do this.

There are many different types. I opted for the "hard case type" where both the top and bottom are a hard shell. This type just pop under their own gas struts and require no assembly. This also has a mattress in it and is deep enough to keep your gear inside it when it is closed. The hard case ones are also fully enclosed while driving. This one is similar to mine...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Overland-Expedition-Hard-Shell-Pop-up-2-Person-Roof-Top-Camping-Tent/293461493970?epid=4042540148&hash=item4453ab08d2:g:G~8AAOSwCcJe~dS5 

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2020 at 17:00, AndyB said:

Well that's my car readied for a tour of Scotland...or anywhere! My machine goes on a tow-ball rack......and me on the top. This tent literally goes up in 10 seconds and down in 30. 

I have also been investigating good places to stay/fly and have found a campsite not too from Ben Nevis that has a flat grass field, that they own and say we can use it for flying from. :)

which campsite's that Andy if you don't mind me asking ?

Other options I'd suggest are - there's 2 carparks that allow camping for walkers just north of fort william.

you can't fly from there, but last time I was up there, I flew from this old playing field - which for some reason is not used now and is overgrown - no fences, etc so I assumed common land.

https://goo.gl/maps/CyyF8RnWhBmvjr2v9

you also get to see the 'hogarts express' if yer lucky and could follow that to Glenfinnan i'd imagine.

Campsites wise, I've flown (and camped) from here a few times, but it depends on whether there's sheep in the fields, etc as to whether they allow or not.

https://goo.gl/maps/dXhhHKMyfgSSrK3g6

stu

Thnaks Stu.

Invercoe Highland Holidays is the site.

56.686452118675085, -5.105447612691024

However, it's now looking like I might not be flying this year. I just got a call telling me my spinal surgery is now planned for end Feb. I I have a spinal deformity that bends me forward by 45 degrees. They are going to cut 2 wedges out of different vertebrae and straighten me out. Probably grounded for 9 months. :( 

41 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Thnaks Stu.

Invercoe Highland Holidays is the site.

56.686452118675085, -5.105447612691024

However, it's now looking like I might not be flying this year. I just got a call telling me my spinal surgery is now planned for end Feb. I I have a spinal deformity that bends me forward by 45 degrees. They are going to cut 2 wedges out of different vertebrae and straighten me out. Probably grounded for 9 months. :( 

and u were flying with that ? christ. well, tbh I think there's even odds that lockdown won't have lifted too long before that anyhoo Andy - so maybe you won't miss anything. hope it goes well.

stu

Yep, flying makes me keep fit. My only issue has been difficulty in not face planting when taking off because I can't stand up straight enough. I have to wait till the wing lifts a bit a weight off then I can lean back at an angle where normally I would fall over backwards!

• 4 weeks later...

good luck with latest operation, i just had C3 through T2 fused..

I want tolearn to fly but am kinda scared regarding jarring or hurting cervical area any more..

Do you think a double size trike style with shock absorbers exist, or do the bigger soft wheels help enough..

Buy from and train with? I have read so much bad stuff about Fister (Cpt. Kurt)  that i need someone else.

ideas...live in Riverview, Fl near Tampa 

I am already fused from T12 to my pelvis and am very sensitive to knocks. Even a small jolt hurts like hell. I have tried a trike and have built one with solid grp axels that act as big springs. However, I find my legs are much better shock absorbers. With the trike I have to get the landing spot on. With legs there is a lot of lea way!