Multi-purpose Velcro tape

irm750

Hello All

I'm thinking of getting hold of some of this tape to help me route my reserve bridles around from a front mounted position to the maillons on my shoulder straps. I'm sure there must be loads of other paramotoring applications.

http://www.directa.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=3154#alternative_specs

Available on ebay for £4.35 buy it now, plus postage of £1.15.

Has anyone used this before? Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Ian.

Ive found the packaged stuff like the one you mention is expensive and the glue is not that strong. Much better to buy it off the roll from your local sewing shop. seems to be much more sticky both the glue on the back and the velcro itself seems to stick together better. Or even better if you dont mind the work, sew-on stuff. If you have a machine then definitely make some cordura tubes with the velco sewn on to that, then sew the tubes onto the harness.

routing bridles....... Part of the deployment of your system is the progressive release of the bridles out of their velcro tubes. PG harnesses have been developed over many years to perfect this and PPG harnesses have a long way to go to catch up. If you route the bridle up past one shoulder be very sure that it CANNOT contact the exhaust anywhere. Seems obvious but on some motors that is an issue.

A ventral pouch should have the bridles coming out one side and under one arm, up past the shoulder and split behind the head to either side. Ideally inside a velcro tube all the way so it comes out progressively and not in a loop that can get round your kneck. The bridles should ideally attach at the shoulders and not connect to the wing carabiners. ....(which would be embarassing if the reason for deployment is a failed carabiner!) Shoulder attachment puts you into the PLF position, automatically which is proven time and again to minimise injury.

Thanks Gordon & Francis

Off to Homebase tomorrow and will then carefully attach my reserve as recommended.

I have been keen to get the reserve attached for a while now but accepted that for the first few flights the potential problems associated with a reserve can outweigh the benefits. As soon as I have my replacement brake line, brake handle and repaired prop I will be back in the air without that nagging feeling when encountering bumpy air that the reserve is safely tucked away at home!!!

Best regards,

Ian.

Hi Francis

With a paramotor on your back would it not be better to land leaning slightly back so as the cage takes most of the impact rather than your legs, as you will not PLF with a motor on your back??

Pete b

Tis wot me thinks.

No chance of PLF (stop kidding yourself if you think you will be able to with your motor on, you won't.)

SW :D

Broken legs or a broken back? By getting some rotation into the landing you will spread the impact. I stand by my recommendation. A PLF is a well known bone saving technique. As you rotate your upper body the cage (motor) will come down to one side and (hopefully) collapse sideways. It is less rigid in this direction than in its vertical structure.

The body naturally defends itself curling up forwards, that is the way the spine works. Laying it backwards over a metal object is likely to break vertibrae and damage the spinal chord.

There is little data to go on here as we dont have the outcomes of many (any?) landings under reserve carrying a paramotor to base this upon. These are my opinions.