Dudek Solo wing first impressions

hadders

I took delivery of a 24m Solo wing from Simon earlier in the Summer after having a test flight at Membury. I wanted a new wing that was easier to launch than my current Dudek WRC which is an excellent wing but design now 10 years + old.

First impressions very light and easy to inflate but at first it felt no reaction to brake input on zero trim but that is because my WRC is that much heavier and slower to inflate. First few flights were reverse launches nice and simple but the wing does want to overtake you so a little brake and control required before turning. I just need to fine tune this. Take off itself very forgiving and with corrections comes back overhead very easily. In brisk winds its very easy to launch.

In flight behaves nicely trims are easy to use and the tip steering is very efficient, if you like fast turns then you will like these. Landing, it just floats for ever my first landings were into fair breezes but the wing just penetrates even with no trim on. Final flare and touchdown very smooth and controlled.

As I fly a Miniplane I found the brake toggles too high so I have moved them down to the middle position and that makes them much more comfortable to use.

So after waiting for the weather to play ball I finally had the opportunity to try some forward launches. My first attempts in very light winds went well with no failed launches which I used to get with my previous wing which was heavier and as I am only 10 stone this did make a difference. The wing I felt was again very sensitive so I now set the trim to number 6 out of 12 this makes the 'feel' on launching much better for me.

I then had the daunting task of an early morning flight with absolutely no wind and damp grass. I would have struggled before but as this was why I bought this wing now was the time to really test it. A really good lay out, tips pulled slightly in and my brain ready - I launched and the wing started to inflate smoothly and after a little taxi power to stabalise things applied full power and a lovely uneventful take off. I was very happy.

To sum up I am very happy with the wing its light to ground handle, it inflates smoothly it is fast and manouverable if needed and it behaves impecably on landing. Overall I am very pleased with my new purchase.

• Like 2

Hadders i am not surprised you get a Floating for ever landing when your on a 24 Solo, as it has a standard 130 and experiened 160kg max and you at 10 stone including gear allowance you would possibly only just be top end on a 21mtr, Dudek wings tend to fly better when to the upper weight end proven by my instructor numerous times, just my input and thoughts but good to hear others reviews of it.