True safety of paramotor / trike question

nameuser

I have seen a number of wing collapse videos. Sure wish it weren't so!

What height does one need to be to deploy a reserve effectively? Is it fair to say that this is the height that one should routinely fly as a minimum?

For one who is not reckless and flies pretty routine stuff, no aerobatics, no fancy maneuvers, and wants to do whatever is possible to remain safe but enjoy paramotoring, what do you think is the overall safety? Such as, it's safer than riding a motorcycle? I've seen that somewhere, don't know if it's true.

Are trikes safer than foot launch?

Totally "out of the blue" wing collapse certainly gives cause for pause but it's a matter of how likely that is to occur.

The answer to question 1, officially is 500ft (or it used to be when I last looked) I stopped looking when I saw a Paraglider deploy at about 100ft and come to the pub afterwards..... I would say it's never too late to try.

Ref motorbike / flying, Flying a paramotor 'normally' is massively safer than riding a motorbike 'normally' 

Tikes  V foot launch: see general answer below.

Wing collapses for 'no reason' don't happen.

Safety in this sport comes down to pilot attitude and education. In very much the same way as a motorcycle or fast car or even horse for that matter. Get lessons, proactively learn about it, and it's the best thing you will ever likely do! :-)

SW :D

• Like 2

Learn about the weather and fly in benign conditions is the safest bet. In 559 flights I have never had even so much as a wing tip tuck.

I am probably on the cautious side of piloting but still absolutely love it. I have only suffered minor cuts and bruises in all my time flying and usually learn something from the fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alan_k said:

Learn about the weather and fly in benign conditions

That's the ticket... I think once a person gains a bit of skill in active flying,  flight becomes quite uncomfortable "before" what most of us might call "dangerous conditions" so there is a natural buffer against flying yourself into serious trouble.

The bottleneck in this is you don't know until you take off what you are in for unless you fly with someone experienced or you gain some skill in reading the weather.
If the wind is strong, watch out for rotor... if its an active day (thermic // fluffy cauliflower clouds) wait until late afternoon.
Sooner or later, you will dip your toe into more active conditions and they are likely to make you land for a smoke long before they evolve into anything dangerous.... but that a wild guess :)