Over the manufactures weight range

All, here are a couple of interesting questions...

How many of you fly your wing (outside) of its range?

How many of you would expect to be paid by your insurance if you had an accident while flying it (over or under) it's weight range?

SW :D

I am currently 20 kilos over weight on my reaction.

Yes I would expect to be payed out BUT It would be no surprise if the insurance used this as a get out clause.

Pete b

ps If you have a 31 Reaction and you want a 27 call me :wink::wink:

Pete b

All, here are a couple of interesting questions...

How many of you fly your wing (outside) of its range?

interesting one .. with a motor, i am coming to the conclusion that in weight range is not actually a great place to be .. the thing ends up rahter slow and sluggish, and when you apply lots of thrust, ends up dropping back too far. I suspect with a motor, you want to be at the top, or a little over the weight range, unless its a naturally fast wing

I note the paramania gliders have ranges specified for with/withiut a motor, the "with motor" weights being well in excess of the normal ones ...

I have just changed my wing today for precisely this reason. I was 30 kg over the top on my 29m wing whereas I am now exactly in the middle of the range on my 34m wing. When I add my trike unit I will be about 15kg over the top but at least I will have one wing that can do both jobs. I was having difficulty running off the speed on my 29m wing on landing on no wind days despite taking wraps!

as you push your wing loading higher your stall speed will increase a faqir bit more than the increase in your top speed, so you need to be careful about slow flying. 2o kg over is staring "push it! I feel. The wings will stand it in normal use but hard turns will greatly increase the loads on the lines and fabric. Wings that are designed to be flown "heavy" witha motor have stronger fabric and lines. The manufacturers linits are thoughfully imposed.

Re BHPA most wing and motor combinations are "uncertified" (i.e flown outside their dhv or EN certification) the are required to register your wing combo if you are a SPHG member but this system is about to change. There has been some suggestion that if you are not complying with the regs of your association your insurance is questionable but this has never been tested.

I think that the question of insurance validity wouldarise in a negligence claim but not in a claim for damages. Just my guess.