Ganbatte

Titanium Exhaust

So that brings to mind a thought: I've found that writing vendors, magazines whatever, esp in a small market like this often triggers results. So is there any person or organization we-all can think of who might be nudged to test (with instrumentation, hopefully) vitto vs skymax exhausts?

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 20:23, nicosangeli said:

I’ve got bikes with ti exhausts with no problems ... 

It would seem Vitto and Skymax (or any manufacturer) are surfing a very thin line between weight and self-destruction... Bikes have rigid frames, lots of mass and space to damp out firing pulses between the motor and exhaust so can take a slightly more long lasting rigid approach in regards to seals and fatigue.
A paramotor is very light and its exhaust wraps around the cranks center of moment so its firing pulses are easily transmitted in the worst possible way, directly into the exhaust's mass.
Go floppy, the seals self destruct, go rigid, the exhaust body fatigues... fail to maintain the floppy joints (by replacing the seals often) the exhaust body fatigues... over-tighten the floppy joints.... etc. etc. 

Well there's that; anything mechanical with weight constraints will require first design attention, then empirical, iterative test-and-refine cycles. Which we expect to be performed by the manufacturers, rather than the users. But when they fail at the same spot over and over, that tells us that spot needs to be beefed up. When failures are randomly distributed over several points, we can conclude the design is mature.

... and hoping the skymax qualifies. But not willing to let hope overwhelm data. If I can find some data.

I ran across a potential paramotor new exhaust joint design(see the linked image). It is capable of bending in any direction, it can be slightly compressed and stretched, it eliminates the need for any springs or bushings that can go bad and overall it could simplify the exhaust design.

My only concern is that this design may weaken the shockwave from the engine even more than our current design, but I lack a degree in aerodynamics to fully assess it.

Believe that the primary goal would be to get rid of the bushings that many exhausts need replaced 100 or so hours along with the springs which can break or be lost. Also the ability for the joint to compress and stretch could help protect the tuned pipe even better from vibration and allow for a lighter exhaust.

IMG_20200923_164910491_HDR.jpg

Yes, that's an ancient coupler design (industrially), dunno why it's not used much. Maybe it fatigues fast?

I wonder. My only thought is that of it is not made of the proper metal it could crack after a while or on a 2 stroke, the shockwave could baffled going through there like on a suppressor.