Problem with leaking carb. Video

GerardTC

Hi all,

I installed the HF kit for my Thor 200 (new carb, airbox, head cylinder, reed valve...).
The problem I am experiencing is caused by the carburetor. The engine runs smooth but after a while (sometimes after few minutes, sometimes after increasing rpm) it overflows and floods the engine...

In this video you can see the gasoline leaking not through the lower overflow tubes but from the valve pointing up: 

In the pic attached I marked the valve.

I suspect it is related to the float height but after some adjustments nothing improves... Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-27 at 20.41.39.jpeg

Edited by GerardTC

11 hours ago, GerardTC said:

Hi all,

I installed the HF kit for my Thor 200 (new carb, airbox, head cylinder, reed valve...).
The problem I am experiencing is caused by the carburetor. The engine runs smooth but after a while (sometimes after few minutes, sometimes after increasing rpm) it overflows and floods the engine...

In this video you can see the gasoline leaking not through the lower overflow tubes but from the valve pointing up: 

In the pic attached I marked the valve.

I suspect it is related to the float height but after some adjustments nothing improves... Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-27 at 20.41.39.jpeg

Can only really be the needle valve is not doing its job. Could be a tiny piece of dirt in there doing it. Its the only way excess fuel can get in there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I sent the carburetor to PAP so they can take a closer look. They adjusted the float height but yesterday I tried the engine and the carburetor keeps flooding (a lot) and stalling the engine.

I wonder if the problem could be caused by the fuel pump...

Edited by GerardTC

I agree with the two previous posters, the problem lies with the inlet needle and its seat. I think you have wear such that the needle seats and seals at times but does not at other times. I would replace them and retest.

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

I agree with the two previous posters, the problem lies with the inlet needle and its seat. I think you have wear such that the needle seats and seals at times but does not at other times. I would replace them and retest.

This carburetor is almost new. Less than 5 hours of use 😕