UK flying lockdown

I have just read the latest update from the DFT. They have said "recreational flying" is not a "sport" and "the previously issued guidance precluding recreational flying continues to apply".  They then say "we will provide another update as soon as the guidance is updated".

So there you have it. Flying is not a sport.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I have just read the latest update from the DFT. They have said "recreational flying" is not a "sport" and "the previously issued guidance precluding recreational flying continues to apply".  They then say "we will provide another update as soon as the guidance is updated".

So there you have it. Flying is not a sport.

That's a pretty "subjective" position they have chosen to hide behind their semantics.... the thing about "subjective" positions is.... Errr, well... they are "subjective" so I guess we are free to trump their "subjective" position with our own "subjective" position.

We can all follow our own subjective lead until a more "OBJECTIVE" position trumps it!
In the meantime, their "authority" over my "sport", lacks any meaningful legitimacy.

The logic for our little corner of existence seems to favor a return to personal responsibility for the things we chose to do especially as they "objectively" conform to the means by which we have chosen (as a country) to minimize the spread of the lurgy.

I'm okay with my subjective position, dunno about anyone else's... none of my business :) 

• Upvote 1

It is unlikely that Sub70 flight is included in their "sport" determination as we do not fall within their sphere of control.

Anyone uncomfortable with making their own determination on the issue have the option to play golf at their disposal despite how much more likely they are of spreading / catching the lurgy :) 

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Full text.....

97191208_10157211336156592_8207596358496944128_n.jpg.0508166ef52f081d209b0b687d6aeb5b.jpg

Guidance from when goverment said stay at home.now it no longer apply,s,,ppg was not banned, we stayed at home as a good will guesture. ppg is a sport and leisure activity.. in field on your own.ticks all new goverment social distance policy.s 

35 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Looks like it might be quite bouncy out there at the mo.
Option 1) Freezing cold but nice and smooooth :)
Option 2) Nice and warm but rough as old boots :) 

Always wishing for the "other" option!

fri/sat early look ok.2 brezzy 2 day,so went out on the lanes with bike,for a blast.

Option 1. I'd rather have small balls from the cold than have huge balls from riding the worlds highest trackless roller-coaster. UV's hitting 6 here on a cloudless day. 

Stay safe to those that do decide to fly, I think everyone is feeling anxious to get up but don't rush it, let the rust fall of naturally. 

Edited by Nathan88
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jock said:

fri/sat early look ok.2 brezzy 2 day,so went out on the lanes with bike,for a blast.

I'm not as optimistic as you... No escape if I push out to the coast (stronger out there) no escape above cloud-base (stronger up there) and I can only deal with getting my arse kicked for short periods of time.... short flights are not really my thing  :) 

On 14/05/2020 at 15:30, chrsfrwll said:

Thermal updraft velocity predictions for tomorrow 11:00am - 400ft/min. Definitely want to have early flight and get down before that lot are kicking off.

Really interesting type of info Chris. May I ask the name of the site where I could get it please?

Guy

sunny, thermal and about 10-12mph ground wind today. And after cleaning the van, I thought I'd check BHPA site and found I could fly again.

Last flight January before the knee op. 3 months since knee op, which is early, but physio says I'm at the stage most folk are after 6 months, so feck it - I went for a wee 20 min flight today just to get back in the air.

I only had 2.5 liters of fuel, and it was bumpy and thermal as buggery, but it was just good to get back up in the air frankly. I visibility of about 60 miles so nice views (as nice as they get in billiard table suffolk anyhoo), and thermals have never bothered me much.

Surprised not more folk commenting about flights - I was a bit worried I'd read it wrong so checked BHPA again to be sure - and I'm sure was all allowed. The fact the skies were full of GA was also a give away - never seen so many wee planes around here than today.

Anyhoo - got up, got down, landed on my feet, no issues with knee. So all in all, I call that a win.

Looks like some better weather over the week, so might have another go now I've got some more fuel, etc.

stu

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

It was 10/12 gusting 20/25, cold air and bright warm sun here. Those thermals would have been the icing in the cake. Way beyond anything I wanted to try, so gave it a miss. I’m pinning my hopes on Wednesday morning. Planning an early start to catch the sunrise, if the forecast holds good.