Your best flight/place to fly

What’s your favourite flight? Mine was a x country in almost nil wind, end of the day, blue sky fading to a sunset. Route was over Highclere castle (Downton Abbey) and then along the top of water ship down, staying about 10 feet from the top of the ridge line. 

That’s a great route if you fly anywhere near Newbury. Though watch out for Leigh side rotor on the down if the breeze is in the wrong direction.

I’ve never managed to fly in Cornwall but I’ve seen one of you cruising around the Camel estuary (Rock/Padstow)) and that’s on the list.

Did a 50 miles XC to see the White Horses of Wiltshire last year. Checked off seven, only missing out on the last one, Westbury, because the army were active down there and after ringing up Brize Norton I decided to give that area a miss. That was pretty memorable, especially as my return home was around midday and the thermals were kicking off. Took a partial collapse that scared me a bit, so was glad to get on the ground.

I've a mate that lives in Rock and plan to go fly down there too.

• Upvote 1

Four of us took off near Lake Bohinj in Slovenia, which is stunningly beautiful, and flew in circles up to 10,000 feet and then headed out over the Julian Alps above cloudbase with peaks poking through now and then, with an eventual a descent through clouds whilst still over the mountains (a partial leap of faith), then more mountain flying below cloudbase and we eventually landed a few miles from the Italian border.

That flight is etched into my memory as stunning and unforgettable. :-)   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although technically not allowed to actually 'take off' from... it's some bonk ye old 'rule of the moors' upheld by the Dartmoor Rangers who seem not to care... but Dartmoor is one of my favorite places to fly (in the world) :-) I have been lucky enough to fly in some epic places with my Nat Geo and other TV work around the planet (the profile pic on the left was taken in Mauritania on a flying / filming trip :-) But I always have to answer Dartmoor when asked this question. 

Sometimes, it can be on your doorstep and you just have to realise your surroundings. 

On top of that, I think variation is a good idea. :-) The fly-ins and other events that happen in different parts of the country are a great way to do this in a stress free way. 

SW :D

• Upvote 1

Being the antisocial bastard that I am, I usually fly alone // XC,s of three hours plus.
But the flight that stick in my mind...……..
An old free-flight paraglider mate from way back turned up with a motor who had thus far only done a few hops under power.
As I pushed out to the coast (only 20 miles away) he followed... and he kept following until we were skimming the sands at Pilling.
I got such a kick out of how ballsy he was and how mind boggling it must have been for him to be so extended from his safe landing field.

I giggled like a girl on that one :)

• Upvote 1

Sunday morning  flight at Borechasers last April down to the two Severn bridges then back up the Wye valley before coming in and a tiptoe landing

It was my longest flight to date

As I sat with a brew afterwards watching all the happy smiling faces, the gentle friendliness and sheer pleasure of like minded people I realised it literally cant get better than that

• Upvote 3

Not strictly a paramotor flight but I got up to 7500 feet yesterday In a microlight which is by far and away the highest I’ve ever been and it took me clear above the clouds. A very particular experience. I’m actually a bit scared of heights so tend to stay under 2000 and avoid clouds like  plague so it was a real experience being right up with the gods. What  made the flight even better was the presence of  a fellow aviator who swooped in to capture the moment in film! 

They say you never forget your first flight above the clouds, I dont think I will forget this one!

C850A52B-956A-4B4C-BC0E-4410D25474C5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah, well, if you're talking non-paramotor then that opens it up a bit. Not sure I can pin it down but flying my hang glider & sharing a thermal with a red kite way back in the early 90's when they were a protected species and not as common as muck as they are now. Going round and round eyeballing each other has a special memory. Or perhaps sharing a thermal with a mate, chasing each other up to 12500' during the British Open in Ager, arguing over the radio about whether or not we should be on oxygen also brings a smile. That flight in particular was good because although I didn't complete the task, I did land near a bar and spent the time waiting for the retrieve crew drinking (free) cold beer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

I’m actually a bit scared of heights so tend to stay under 2000 and avoid clouds like  plague

That's understandable...… But...… The next time you are getting spanked by convection, consider climbing above cloud-base.
I'm not sure I have been above cloud-base and it not being a hands off smoooooth cruse (cold though)

If I have been spanked good style, it can still take some time to peal my finger out of the death-grip they insist on holding the breaks with but eventually, ill find the time to boggle at the sight :) 

189785318_photo2.thumb.jpg.47626122fb2f033918ae28994e26e2db.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, chrsfrwll said:

with a mate, chasing each other up to 12500'

That brings back memories 11'500 in Turkey... the roughest air I had ever been in (I practiced grabbing my reserve on that one)
It was pretty tough until I looked over to my mate who was also being spanked which made me laugh like a madman.
Its like standing outside the headmasters office waiting to get the cane…. on your own, its a bit shit, when there are two of you, its kind of funny :) 

• Haha 2