Poll - flying post lockdown

Flying post lock down  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Our community should refrain from flying to help the NHS even after the lock down. Please select the answer(s) that best reflect why you agree.

• Yes because it’s selfish to do a risk sport when the NHS is under Increased pressure
    • Yes, but for other reasons (i.e. you are sanctimonious, please specify)
    • Yes because it would give the sport a bad reputation to be flying when A and E departments are busy
  2. 2. Anyone who flies post lock down when the NHS is busy should be publicly shamed and reported to the police for anti-social behaviour.

• Yes as a deterrent to others
    • Yes, because I have low self esteem and it makes me feel powerful and important

Is there going to be a surge of post lock down hospital visits as the uk population are allowed out again? And are we also going to see an increase in Covid cases as we start moving around more?
If so, there will be more stress on the NHS than we have at the moment. Should we, as a community, collectively refrain from any flying well beyond lock down?

I have a son who is a consultant in A & E.

It is the quietest period for the 10 years that he has worked there........not being overwhelmed in that department.

The small airstrip that I fly from has been closed by the operator during the lockdown so I don't have to worry about making a decision, it's already been made for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

Should we, as a community, collectively refrain from any flying well beyond lock down?

No chance. Everyone is chomping at the bit.

For inexperienced pilots please take extra care with your first few flights.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Guy said:

It is the quietest period for the 10 years that he has worked there........not being overwhelmed in that department.

So... what I’m hearing is we should go flying now, before lockdown is lifted whilst A and E is quiet? Controversial but I can’t fault your logic.

Edited by Patrick1

I spent some time in A&E on Monday this week. I was using my lathe and while parting off a 65 mm diameter bar, the tool bound and caused the whole toolpost to fly off. Over 20 kg of metal landed on my foot and through boots and 2 pairs of socks managed to dislocate one toe (no longer attached!) and break one. It was my quickest ever visit to A&E. Hardly anyone there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AndyB said:

It was my quickest ever visit to A&E. Hardly anyone there.

Well, this is vexing. Whilst it’s probably technically against the law insofar as paramotoring isn’t daily exercise (though hardly the crime of the century), the only decent argument I’ve seen not to fly is around saving NHS capacity for those who need it. If that capacity is not being stretched at the moment, reasons not to fly are pretty thin. 

I believe the real reason is public perception.

Plus of course, whether you agree with the rules or dont agree with the rules, it simply doesn't fit with the current essential exercise criteria. Whether you or I agree with those rules, or indeed the entire lockdown, is a seperate issue which I probably dont want to go into here.

Its certainly interesting to note the number of people on horses that also dont meet the criteria, but dont seem to attract the same negative public perception.

But otherwise I agree, from people I know in hospitals, A & E is like a ghost town. But then again if everyone went flying, skiing, surfing would that still be the case?

The rest of the hospitals have pretty much closed down too.

Common sense would say that flying causes very little risk to our self's and the services we may use.

But... the people who write the laws are not best known for common sense.

All it takes is one copper with a bit of wellie behind him to see a paramotor and think to himself "i cant catch him to exercise my ego...how do i stop this?"

Stay At Home, Save The Flights, Protect The LFS (Licence Free Sport).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have reluctantly complied with the "guidelines" for the sake of protecting the sport only.
The slightly exotic nature of the sport makes us prime targets for those who get a rise out of lording it over other peoples business.

Its a tough spot to be in, I think we ought to be flying... I think it was obvious weeks ago.
If I pass on or catch Covid, I am 99% sure it will be via work, not in a field or at 2000ft

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 06/05/2020 at 15:08, Guy said:

The small airstrip that I fly from has been closed by the operator during the lockdown so I don't have to worry about making a decision, it's already been made for me.

Its the quietest its ever been in the hospitals down here too. (cornwall). I have a couple of close family working in the nhs in the south west and both have said its never been this quiet!!!

On 07/05/2020 at 06:24, paraflyer17 said:

I believe the real reason is public perception.

Plus of course, whether you agree with the rules or dont agree with the rules, it simply doesn't fit with the current essential exercise criteria. Whether you or I agree with those rules, or indeed the entire lockdown, is a seperate issue which I probably dont want to go into here.

Its certainly interesting to note the number of people on horses that also dont meet the criteria, but dont seem to attract the same negative public perception.

But otherwise I agree, from people I know in hospitals, A & E is like a ghost town. But then again if everyone went flying, skiing, surfing would that still be the case?

The rest of the hospitals have pretty much closed down too.

I think the picture we are shown by the msm is a mile from reality. Interesting how all the nightingale hospitals are empty too. I still think we would be named and shamed on every possible social media sight if we flew though. Im not on any of them but it wouldnt do the sport any good. I cant wait to get up in the air though. 

Two paramotors were videoed flying over NE Leeds yesterday and seen over LS26 the day before. (Search Twitter  paramotors #Leeds) Many free flyers respecting the rules will be tarred with the same brush by the general public following the actions of two selfish individuals. 

Edited by AndyG2
Extra info

57 minutes ago, AndyG2 said:

Many free flyers respecting the rules

A "free-flyer" was sent home from Pendle hill yesterday so the distinction is wasted.

It can be tricky respecting "the rules" when the "rules" are not quite up to speed with reality.
Lets hope the "rules" are tuned very soon before we all lose respect :)

We all want to play out and the reasons not to are wearing a tad thin especially for things like free-flight, paramotoring, fishing, canoeing or any other escape that is VASTLY less risky than working or rotting away on the sofa sucking down cake and pies!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AndyG2 said:

Two paramotors were videoed flying over NE Leeds yesterday and seen over LS26 the day before. (Search Twitter  paramotors #Leeds) Many free flyers respecting the rules will be tarred with the same brush by the general public following the actions of two selfish individuals. 

I’m not sure the general public are interested in the slightest. Joe Public don’t really differentiate ppg/gliding at the moment from cycling and horse riding etc and that flight barely registered on the ‘giveafuckometer’ for most people.

I think there’s an awful lot of sanctimonious pilots who have a lack of perspective and think that everyone must be terribly interested in you and your hobby, you will be disappointed to discover that they don’t and most normal people don’t spend their time thinking about paraglider pilots and what they are or are not doing.  You just aren’t that important.  The only people obsessed with who’s flying in lock down are other pilots.

Get a grip and stop whinging. Very few people outside of aviation circles is listening, and no one cares.

so you can drive to do sport...Powered paragliding has been a relatively unknown sport, with relatively few participants in comparison to other sports,just saying what boris said ref sports,esp if its on your own,,or with people from same house,hhhaa

20 minutes ago, jock said:

so you can drive to do sport...Powered paragliding has been a relatively unknown sport, with relatively few participants in comparison to other sports,just saying what boris said ref sports,esp if its on your own,,or with people from same house,hhhaa

I missed the first half... is that really what the implication is?
The bit I saw was the same old shite :( 
Ill have to pull it up on youtube later

If there is a gap I can squeeze through, I'm going in!

21 minutes ago, jock said:

said you can do sports from wed, 

Just watched the whole thing.
Yep, that's how I interpreted it, take exercise as often as we like including driving // alone or with family
Lets hope its flyable next weekend... if anyone comes to my flying field, twenty meters minimum you barstards!!!! (cant afford to clown it up now)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1