Equipment

Yes I think this would be a good idea, also worth getting a decent pair of sunglasses and a pair of gloves(nothing special). you want to start getting use to wearing these things when on the ground makes thing less intimidating when you start strapping the motor on if you are already use to having these thing on. 

3 hours ago, Blue Brick said:

Yes I think this would be a good idea, also worth getting a decent pair of sunglasses and a pair of gloves(nothing special). you want to start getting use to wearing these things when on the ground makes thing less intimidating when you start strapping the motor on if you are already use to having these thing on. 

Thanks Blue Brick. Can you recommend a good pair if flying sun glasses please? Polarised lenses maybe?

Here is a slightly different approach to wearing sunglasses or not.

My French instructor advised not to for a couple of reasons, to get used to bright conditions without them. Firstly you may forget to take them with you and will end up in conditions you are not used to.

Whilst flying the conditions could change and become dull, then you have the problem of removing and storing them.

Now I wear prescription bifocals and have never worn sunglasses for flying.

11 hours ago, Pilot Paul said:

I was thinking of a tinted visor for the helmet instead of sunglasses?

personal choice. never used a full visor so can`t compare. but sunglasses are cheaper to replace when they get scratched and I would say they are less of a snag hazard but it personal choice.. 

13 hours ago, Pilot Paul said:

Thanks Blue Brick. Can you recommend a good pair if flying sun glasses please? Polarised lenses maybe?

I use cycling glasses have a slight wrap around for better wind protection. think the pair I have now came from Halfords. £20-25 you want something that will last but something that wont matter too much if you drop them. 

As for Polarised just not that if you are planning on using a phone or tablet for GPS you might struggle to see the screen with them. 

Edited by Blue Brick

I'd hold off buying things like sunglasses, wait until you can fly and then start trying stuff out. Personally, I never fly with sunglasses. 

That's unless you want to look cool on the ground, of course. 

I bought my helmet and comms before I trained. I still have the comms but sold the helmet soon after I got flying for something I preferred. Should have waited and tried stuff out.  

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'd hold off buying things like sunglasses, wait until you can fly and then start trying stuff out. Personally, I never fly with sunglasses. 

I bought my helmet and comms before I trained. I still have the comms but sold the helmet soon after I got flying for something I preferred. Should have waited and tried stuff out.  

I totally get the waiting thing, but I wanted to stagger the bills a bit. It’s also a good way of building up my gear without Mrs Pilot Paul realising just how much I’m spending! 😂😂

2 hours ago, Steve said:

I would say you need sunglasses more when ground handling than when you are flying. nothing worse than looking up at you wing with the sun behind it.  As for a helmet I am guessing that at some point you will be ground handling away from your school so you will need a helmet.  But I 100% agree with not buying too much too soon..

Edited by Blue Brick

On 19/04/2020 at 09:54, Pilot Paul said:

I like this one ICARO TZ

Any good?

We are a UK importer of Icaro, and we stock Icaro Solar X, and Icaro Scarab. After we tested the TZ, we found it not to fit very well, in comparison to the other helmets they make, and from feedback from others. So as MicroAvionics, we only stock helmets we are happy to sell, therefore I suggest if you want a TZ, then try first.

• Like 1