HOW does one get into paramotoring?

Hi, so I am wanting to get into flying a paramotor however the only knowledge I have of them is from videos I've seen on youtube. I live in Scotland, Burntisland and was wondering how I could get into it and where I could go within my area to learn everything I need to know about.

Welcome to the Paramotor Club :-)

A good idea is to take a look at the member map here https://www.paramotorclub.org/membermap/

You can add your own location, but also see others and make contact. 

As far as I am aware, there are no Paramotor Schools in Scotland. I am sure someone will correct me if I got this wrong. 

My advice, use the member map, contact your local pilots and ask them who they did there training with :-)

SW :D

First thing is to find an instructor around your area. a quick google search brings up a school in Glasgow (not sure if they are still active) or you could advertise for an individual a bit closer to home to train you (sure theres someone on here). training can be anywhere between £1000-£2000. its worth it and really is a must.

finding a pilot who would be happy to give you a tandem flight would be a bonus, its common for people to take their first flight and find its not for them.

once training is done its time to gear yourself up.

older gear your looking at- wing = £1000-£2000. motor = £1500-£3000

new gear, wing = £2500+. motor £4000+

after all that the sport becomes a lot cheaper, just fuel really.

happy hunting. :)

11 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

Is it? We honestly don't find to be the case at our school. Yes there are a small handful but I bet it's not even 1% or 1 in 10.

I suspect he is referring to people who take a tandem flight first, I know quite a few people who have seen PG/PPG flying and thought they would like to try it only to decide its not for them after a tandem flight.

"common" was probably a strong word without going into stats and figures. You guys will have more experience in things like student retention then me obviously. The statement was just advice from one newbe to another newerbe. I would of liked to take that first baby step by taking a tandem flight to see if it was for me. So I'd assume 1 or 2 others would to. Everyone's different but I think advising a £70 tandem flight before someone's 5 to 10 grand deep into a sport thats not for them, is pritty solid advice. Its one of those things that's down to opinion and that was mine to the OP. Stay safe guys. 

• Upvote 1

in the same way that I hate the idea of being on the back of someones motorbike (except for a very small handful of people) I know many people don't like the idea of not being in control in a tandem situation. Its a weird one... We have a guy who has been offering tandem flights for over a year now and not one single student has come from it. 

Awww see, my only experience of tandem flights is the happy smiling people on YouTube so I'd assume they would be good experiences for the majority of people. I get the 2 up bike comparison, just wouldn't of thought tandems had that same feeling. Everydays a school day. Stay safe. 

• Like 1

As I say, I am only basing that on the local guy who is very actively flying people V the conversion to learning. I think if you were taking someone up who already knows they want to do it, they will have fun... If you take someone up who is 'trying it out to see if they like it' I think they will feel differently. 

It would be interesting to get some feedback from the people who had a trial lesson and then did not learn. 

1 hour ago, Nathan88 said:

Awww see, my only experience of tandem flights is the happy smiling people on YouTube so I'd assume they would be good experiences for the majority of people.

You've obviously haven't seen that video of a tandem flight where the passenger puked. Entertaining, though definitely not for the pilot 🤢🤮😁