Gro pro mount?

Pilot Paul

Hi,

My plan to start training this Spring has obviously been put on hold so I am researching kit instead.

I’ve just ordered a Go Pro with the intention of filming my training progress/first flight etc but wondered what mount I need to attach this to a helmet (haven’t got one yet) and how everyone does this? Are they just stuck on?

Thanks

I stopped using my helmet mount after being shown what happens when lines get tangled around it! Now attach to chest or knee. I had it attached using ope of the GOpro sticky mounts, with holes and bolts drilled thought it to make sure it stayed put.

15 hours ago, AndyB said:

I stopped using my helmet mount after being shown what happens when lines get tangled around it! Now attach to chest or knee. I had it attached using ope of the GOpro sticky mounts, with holes and bolts drilled thought it to make sure it stayed put.

Thanks Andy, didn’t think of that as I see so many helmet cam clips on YouTube!

Do you use straps to chest mouth it?

6 hours ago, Pilot Paul said:

Yes. You can get a kit for £14 ish on Ebay that contains every mount/strap you can think of. It was when I was flying with Skyschool last summer, they made remove my camera as they would not allow it when flying with them.

8 hours ago, Pilot Paul said:

You can mount a GoPro with good quality velcro between the mount and helmet, if you get slack lines at any point the camera should rip away. 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

You can mount a GoPro with good quality velcro between the mount and helmet, if you get slack lines at any point the camera should rip away. 

But most people don't want to risk losing their camera so they add in a lanyard or some other tie to keep the camera safe.....I have seen them many times.......and I had one!

If you want to mount it on your helmet with minimum risk then just use velcro. If you want to up the risk a bit use a lanyard. If you want to up it further then use the 3M mounts. It's a rarity for there to be a problem but it's down to personal choice how far to go. 

• 3 months later...