...so does paramotoring qualify as daily exercise?

very interesting, wrestling with that position like all other ppg'ers especially with the weather window we have mid week. there will be more clarification throughout tomorrow i am sure. I am currently thinking there will be circumstances where this will be OK. 

1 hour ago, Patrick1 said:

I’m inclined to go for it on the basis my field is v close to home and I go alone. However, my pause for thought is the idea that if I prang it and break a leg then I’d feel a proper selfish twat if I ended up in A&E.. 

somewhat assumes you can get into your local A&E and then not catch CV when you're there.........

fields are still wet so chance of a prang is prob a bit higher than usual, aviation prangs are also higher after winter lay-offs

my own inclination is to avoid for now, gutted though

Ok. Have thought about this and I will definitely NOT be flying at 4pm, I will de NOT be enjoying the empty blue sky, wind on my face, watching the deer bound across the fields below me, the golden sunset lighting up the tress and making the fields look like they are glowing. I will not sneakily land back, pack it all away and have a glass of wine in the garden. So, that’s clear then. 

Edited by Patrick1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

I’m inclined to go for it on the basis my field is v close to home and I go alone. However, my pause for thought is the idea that if I prang it and break a leg then I’d feel a proper selfish twat if I ended up in A&E.. 

So you have actually answered your own question👍

A little bit of common sense is needed here. We are well within our rights to go to the park, walk the dog, go for a run or a bike ride provided we keep our social distance and not do it in groups of more than 2 unless it's with our household. Bojo' words not mine and in all honesty, these words are simple common sense. So why is flying not treated in the same manner? This is a rhetorical question, I don't need a lecture, as I got one tonight :-)

I went for a sunset flight. I kept well away from everyone in the parking lot. Seems the dog walkers were out in force because Bojo said they could go walking. In fairness they kept their social distance. I set my wing and started clipping in when I saw a man heading my way. Let's call him Mr. SR (Mr. Self Righteous). As he came closer Mr SR barked, "Do you think you're flying that today". "I certainly am" I replied. He went on to say I wasn't allowed to, to which I replied that he was walking his dog. What's the difference. I said that if he kept away from me I would keep away from him. He wagged his finger at me saying that Borris said he was allowed to walk but did not say I could fly. I asked him to move on and keep his social distance.

So here is the common sense or lack of it. Mr SF came close enough to me to tell me that Bojo said I cannot fly and that he could walk the dog, but also close enough to give me whatever corono crap he might have had. In all honesty I would have shook his hand if he gestured to, the man is not the issue, it's his mentality and many like him that beggers belief.

Is it only me or does it feel like world has more dickheads than reasonable people lately.

I for one will continue to fly until the airspace is closed, provided it is within the spirit of what the government is enforcing. I will take my guidance from where the activity is (Park) and who I come into contact with (no one).

Happy flying.

JC

• Upvote 1

The prime issue I see is that this a dangerous sport. Many pilots end up in A&E. This is not the time to end up in A&E. Yes, you can probably convince yourself that flying is your daily exercise. It isn't, that's just your excuse. There are many ambiguous things at the moment, such as what type of work still has to done. I don't think flying is.  I find now is the time that actions separate the responsible from the irresponsible. 

Stay safe, be safe, don't put yourself at risk, don't put others at risk because you can't stop flying for a while.

• Like 1

The dog walker sounds like a dick. Getting that close means he rather missed the point.

We probably shouldn’t fly, I am in total support of BoJo policy. It works if we all join in. If you cant fly without going near anyone, without going to a fuel station for example, or rubbing shoulders in a tight car park or touching a gate then you should probably give it a miss. However, if you have a quiet little spot (and we all do don’t we?) and a fuel can in the shed then the separation thing isn’t an issue. Maybe just Sneak off and fill your boots. BUT be under no illusions, if you have to go into A and E or take an icu bed, you will have been selfish and everyone will call you a c**t.  But there’s a potential solution to that too, don’t fly like a dick, don’t be a dell, don’t break anything and you won’t have to.

Bit of context, I think people getting the tube to non essential jobs and company’s still insisting non essential staff come to the office (there are lots) is far more reckless than a cheeky bimble. I also think you pie eating fat boys, alcoholics and smokers are more likely to need Hospital support this summer than a ppg pilot.

In conclusion, probably best not to but if you do, be even more careful than usual not to screw up. Its all good fun til you end up taking a hospital bed.

I obviously did not sneak out of a hidden field and have a glorious hour long cross country this evening because I’m better than you. 

I despair reading this!

I'm the last person to be a goody goody, but it's painfully obvious this isn't right. Yes you can fly without going near a soul, you won't inconvenience anyone, take a hospital bed or put anyone at risk... but you'll piss off everyone else who does adhere to the guidelines. The dog walker mentioned above is just a indication of the balance of opinion against you and therefore us.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

To be honest I am surprised there hasn't been a notam issued. All the smaller aerodromes have been shut apart from essential and emergency services.

I have been wrestling with this question for the last few days, I am desperate to have a nice flight but the waves of hate and derision that would be generated by non flyers seeing PPG is really not worth it.

Joe public will get pissed off once the restrictions are lifted and every pilot takes to the skies, but at least they won't be able to call us all dickheads then.

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus. It is a perfect day to go flying here in Shropshire and it is eating me up not to go to the field, but I guess it's simply one sacrifice we have to make for the good of the sport.

I'll just have to settle with playing with the RC Heli in the garden ☹️

• Like 1

I have just been up the airfield and it was bloody lovely.

I was just walking the dog, but looking up and checking out the wind 🙂

Back of my mind is staying - what is the different - walking the dog on the airfield, which I am aloud to do or flying 2000 feet in the air, which I am not aloud to do at a licensed airfield.

I am not going to, because of accidents etc and  the main reason, my wife being a nurse  working all the hours of the day, with me sitting at home. 🙂 🙂 

• Like 3

OPINION ALERT: Personally I don't think you'd be doing any harm if you went flying by yourself and it could definitely be seen as exercise (seeing as I'm sweating by the time I've ran up and down the field multiple times). I'd openly admit I went for a fly tonight, to be honest, at this point in time you'd be more vulnerable if you went to the shops for the essentials - Not to mention the increased number of incidents that are likely to be had at home as someone has already mentioned. People have just got to be pragmatic, but unfortunately not a lot of people are nowadays...

Stay safe. Save lives.

• Upvote 1

You all seem to be enjoying flying through these very weird times. I frankly am paranoid (to an extreme degree) of contracting the coronavirus outbreak. The flying school in my area has suspended operations, and there is a huge health risk being touted by the authorities. Stay Inside and Be Safe, guys. These are frankly disturbing conditions we've been thrown into.