Cage Netting

irm750

I do not think redesigning the wing to accomodate a design flaw in the motor is the way forward. We know the wing works really well at `its current state of evolution (20 years of development). we need to evolve the motor to suit it!

Even "parked" brakes can contact the propellor in some situations.

I know some have suggested adding bungee but I think this is a very, very bad idea.

a. you will be applying progressive pressure on the D riser and bringing the D lines down with the brake.

b. there are times when you will want to "take a wrap" and bury the brakes e.g to facillitate an emergency downwind landing or coming down through a steep wind gradient to a nil wind landing. . the bungees will prevent this.

I strongly urge us all not to rush to a "solution" but to carefully consider the complications that any solution will throw up. A temporary work arond is to apply 20mm netting to the brake handle area in such a way as to ensure it is secure and does not create "line snags" (tape over zip-tie lugs). Then talk with your engine manufacturer and put pressure on to create a retro-fit permanent solution.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As well as the issue of brake lines going into a prop. One of my concerns on my Airfer PXP , was the actual strength of the netting, over a quarter quadrant of the cage. Say on a nil wind, balls up launch, falling whilst running, hitting the deck with motor still on full chat & elbow or other body part pushing through the netting or deflecting it enough to make contact with the prop!

I met a pilot at the nationals that showed me the result of shoulder contacting the prop when pull starting a motor & it surging forwards.

very good point Paul and you remind me of the important preflight check on the parajet and any other throttle control that has a "cruise" clamp. Ensure that the clamp is loose and the throttle can return to "closed" under its spring before starting the engine. I have ended up on my back fighting a rampant macro; it produces 65 kg and I am 73kg. I won but dont ever want to fight it again!

On a serious note however, reading this thread prompted me to have a look at the netting on my 'Adventure'. This motor uses thick 'nylon' line, threaded through eyelets in the frame perimeter and woven backwards and forwards forming square mesh.

It was the first time that I had made an objective study of the setup, and I realised that the line had stretched over time and I would be lucky if the mesh, which even in standard format is about 60mm square, would prevent a limb from going through if even a moderate amount of force was applied.

So I've just spent a happy half hour in this un-kiteable weather, drawing the whole lot tight and tying it off. Each quadrant of the cage yielded between three and six inches of slack.

My next plan is to take some slightly thinner fishing line than the line fitted, and weave it through the existing mesh at 45 degrees to the original. Tying it at every corner would help resist foreign object penetration even more effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

New smaller mesh (20mm) netting fitted. Will hopefully not have any more brake handle meeting prop incidents!

This netting was much more of a pain in the backside to fit. It needed to be held taut while it was cable tied on. I used bungie cords with metal hooks on the end attached to my garden swing to hold the netting tight, then suspended the cage panel next to the netting with nylon cord to hold the weight while I went around tieing the two together. I found some much smaller ties (200mm x 2.5mm) for the outher circumference which will be less likely to catch the lines.

Overall pic -

Photo-0054.jpg

Close-up pic -

Photo-0056.jpg

Good luck with fitting yours - If you're as cack handed as me then you'll need plenty of patience!

Best regards,

Ian.

p.s. Do you like the repaired props????

Interest group - a group of persons having a common identifying interest that often provides a basis for action

Real - a former monetary unit and coin of Spain, Portugal or Brazil.

Gadzooks thats Me!!! How much do I owe for this cage stocking?

Gentlemen,

I have 18m of 19mm netting. Who's interested for real?

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

if it is for the brakes i would assume that only the top section of the cage needs extra safety? i have done this using trampoline mesh secured by a paraglider line sewn threw and wrapped round to make it tought it is good no lines get caught but i think bigger holes would have been better to avoid drag but to be fair i aint noticed a difference and ya got no chance of accidentally puttin your hand in the prop on the top part of the cage the other thing which is good is the screens theu have on tennis pitches to make them more private

• 2 months later...

the parajet meshin looks nice but isnt there a better way of securing it the zip straps are ok but lines getting caught? wouldnt rivets be a better option look better too ? maybe i am a bit picky but i wouldnt go spend 4 grand on a machine then zip strap it all the way round lol makes it look tatty , sorry for the words lol

I was worried about the idea of lines getting snagged on tie wraps so I used a thin/strong cord. I still ended up using tie wraps (zip straps) at the corners as backup. The end effect flies really well with no snagging on forward launch.

Stuart

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I like it much better than the original way with all those Big Gaps......can you please also now make one with a clutch and you will have me as another customer...

oh and do away with the electric start.... :(

I am serious I would like to buy British but until those criteria are met I am sad to say I wont.... :cry:

ps the netting is a start....go on ask the big boss man...if he will release a model with the other two things :wink:

I like it much better than the original way with all those Big Gaps......can you please also now make one with a clutch and you will have me as another customer...

oh and do away with the electric start.... :(

I am serious I would like to buy British but until those criteria are met I am sad to say I wont.... :cry:

ps the netting is a start....go on ask the big boss man...if he will release a model with the other two things :wink:

You can buy the Parajet Zenith from Parajet with a Polini Thor Engine which has a pull start and clutch system and my design netting. Contact jim@parajet.com, tell him you been chatting to me on this forum. Hope this helps you out.

At last, Parajet finally moving in the right direction. This is a big departure from before and well done for having the balls to do it. Zenith sounds like a massive improvement. I am a huge critic of your previous products but if what you say is true even I might have to change my view.