different syllabuses

Has anyone ever done both of the main UK training courses or even the third one as I see it there are the BHPG (is that right I know it's something like that) and the PMC and I think the other is the APPI has anyone done more than one? Is there a preferred one both of my local ones are the the BH thingy one I just wondere did it was worth the 2-3 hour round trip to to the PMC course instead (my two local ones are both within 1/2hr to an hour).  I would love to get started as soon as can shift my asset to pay for it all hopefully within the next few months. Just wondered what people's thoughts were.

It rather depends on if you wish to actually paraglide (BHPA) or just go directly to paramotoring.

I trained for paramotoring without any previous paragliding experience and have nil desire to free fly. If you go down the BHPA route you have to learn to paraglide first in two stages (I believe) before you then progress to paramotoring.

Cut out the middleman and go with the PMC.

I would love to but  there is a need for more instructors I would have to drive about a couple of hours each way to train with a PMC instructor.  It also seems odd that they are want you to learn free flight which I would have no intention of ever doing just like gliding or skydiving I just don't see the point I want to have an engine and fly not fall slowly from the sky🤣

4 hours ago, alan_k said:

It rather depends on if you wish to actually paraglide (BHPA) or just go directly to paramotoring.

I trained for paramotoring without any previous paragliding experience and have nil desire to free fly. If you go down the BHPA route you have to learn to paraglide first in two stages (I believe) before you then progress to paramotoring.

Cut out the middleman and go with the PMC.

Only at certain BHPA schools teach paragliding first, mine teaches paramotor from day 1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So I trained with Simon and col at membury (PMC) and loved it! Flew for 1 year or so and then due to lack of wiling insurance company’s at the time I joined the BHPA via alternative entry. (There are wiling insurance companies now without bhpa)

I have seen two different sides to the sport from PMC and BHPA, is one better than the other? In my opinion no.

it all depends on what you want to do, PMC is very laid back teach you what you need to know and get you flying to a good standard and continue from there to Wherever you want to get to at a time scale that suits your needs and desires.

The BHPA (remember of course that I joined after learning to fly so can’t comment at school level) is a lot more formal, you learn a level and then prove competence with a test, then to the next level and test again etc. I do like this way of doing it as it prove to me more then anything that I have taken the information in and not only understand it correctly but can draw it from the depth of mind when needed. The other added benefit is the BHPA direct influence (if that’s the correct way of putting it) towards any law changes and regulations, supporting them helping keep our sport safe etc.

I think neither are wrong and both are good it all depends on how you like to learn. Do you prefer a more laid back open ended trained or do you prefer a bit more regimented complete a level to move on to the next.

Each to their own but if it was me doing it again I would probably learn with Simon and col again and then once confident and happy with my knowledge and skill level I would join the BHPA again. BHPA opens up more flying sites and help keep the sport possible in the long term by giving us a voice with the CAA and for me that’s worth paying for.

Either way your going to have fun!

• 2 weeks later...