Project light

Magnus Törnvall

Is mounting a Atom 80 on the AC frame a bad idea? Construction-wise and considering the inherent torque compensation of the frame and the motor not using belt drive. 

The motor needs to be mounted 35ish mm higher (top engine mounts). I would probably opt for a whole carbon fiber plate or two vertical plates. 

2 hours ago, Vauxscott said:

Torque compensation (bent arms) would be the wrong way going from a belt drive to a gear drive motor.

Then it definitely qualifies as a bad idea. 

Too bad as I have a bad feeling about the EOS engine when it comes to reliability and maintenance. Maybe I've just been reading too much. 

On 14/03/2020 at 17:54, Magnus Törnvall said:

Then it definitely qualifies as a bad idea. 

Too bad as I have a bad feeling about the EOS engine when it comes to reliability and maintenance. Maybe I've just been reading too much. 

You have :-) People only post to moan about things... I was super happy with the EOS I got (A v1) and now so is the new owner :-) The only real issues I have noted are the pull start. (the same as most of the Atoms and 185s) which I also have one each of. 

The warranty / support is awesome and I think that is more important. 

SW :D

I agree with Simon, I've never had an issue with the EOS150 starter, it pulls smoothly and starts the motor first time mostly every time. It's a slightly different (more gentle, one finger?) technique to non-Flash starting and does make a huge difference in ease of starting, especially mid-flight.
I understand that any issues were mostly on the earlier 100 Booster models but are now resolved. The only paramotor I have witnessed having repeated starter problems is the Minari with multiple failures of the cord, the spring and the engager dogs. I saw two friends have breakages both on the same day and when new parts were fitted they too failed within hours!

NO motor is 100% perfect, they all have their idiosyncrasies and weak points. It's a case of researching the records and hands-on testing, not falling into brand loyalty and rumour traps. I promote the EOS150 because of my long term research and very positive personal use. and , just as importantly because of the unrivaled, personal after sales support from both EOS and WASP paramotors. New machines come with a 2 year warranty!!!

The fact that a busy and well respected training school speaks highly of these machines is, for me, further confirmation of my own findings.

On 15/03/2020 at 21:50, admin (Simon W) said:

You have :-) People only post to moan about things... I was super happy with the EOS I got (A v1) and now so is the new owner :-) The only real issues I have noted are the pull start. (the same as most of the Atoms and 185s) which I also have one each of. 

The warranty / support is awesome and I think that is more important. 

SW :D

True that. We'll see what I end up with. It's going to be light and will deliver loads of fun, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Curiosity question to you-all who use EOS engines, either the 100 or 150...

What's your pilot weight, and what do you think of the performance of your motor working against your weight, please? (I love hands-on, direct from source data!)

Any other relevant data, such as unusual altitude or anything? Thanks!

HI Ganbatte

You're right, the best way to get true reviews is from real users. Okay, I am 67 years old, unfit and ashamed to say 220lbs. I have the EOS150 with Ozone Spyder wing. I am loyal to the EOS because I've tried on so many others and not been satisfied with the vast majority in terms of weight, complexity, reliability, power to weight ratio and crucially, after sales support. I needed all the help I could muster to get me launched and my rig gets me in the sir without puffing and panting, grunting or having a heart attack!!! You can tell ...I love it.

I believe the future of PPG is light weight and efficiency and my Wasp Titanium and EOS150 (total 20.5kg) provides that right now. It powers tandem flights with two adults and a large wing very easily.

I hope that helps Ganbatte? This is my honest opinion. Others may contradict my but it's my hands-on 2 cents worth. Check out www.wasppg.com and www.peakygliders.co.uk for videos and more information. Cheers, Paul (UK)

Edited by Paul Shotan

Our vitals are not that dissimilar, and I'm not sayin' any more than that! :)

That's an interesting endorsement of the 150; I infer that you compared it against the main competitors: nitro 200 and moster? I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

The Wasp looks like a nicely made frame, and that total weight is very attractive. I do have an irrational reaction to any netting pattern that leaves large gaps. It doesn't matter if they're "in safe spots", I see that and it's just nails on chalkboard time. Maybe it's unfair, but, well, you should have faith in your gear, and if something about it freaks you out, you won't.

But. There are other frames in the same general class which all seem to garner some positive reviews. Two I've noticed are the skymax star and the fly products (?) Eclipse. All lightweight, all or mostly titanium. Can you (or anyone) offer any thoughts or impressions on those two or anything similar, preferably based on hands-on? I recall hearing gossip to the effect the nitro's hoop is a bit squishy, don't know if that's true or not...

So many questions, thanks for entertaining them!

So, you're keeping quiet about your Adonis physique!!!:-). I'm past caring to be honest and this lockdown will shed a few pounds I'm sure.

I trained on a Nitro 200 and that was to be my first choice as it was comparatively light and powerful. After training I traveled all over the UK trying on different models including the Moster, Flymec, Minari, the rupture-inducing Bailey and many others I've forgotten. At the end of all that testing the Nitro was still leading contender until I found and tried the EOS150 and Roberto Ferrero at Wasp Paramotors UK. It was an immediate revelation and a perfect fit for me. The way I was treated by Rob was just superb. The weight of the rig was crucial  but, more than that, it felt like the weight distribution was absolutely spot-on. It was like the difference between a great backpack and a cheap one...  you can carry far more, much further with the first and feel less effort and discomfort than with the latter. It just felt it was made for me, my build, condition and abilities. I truly believe you can only choose your gear by wearing it. We're all physically different and no cold statistics will tell you what is right for you ... you have to wear it. 
I personally love the WASP and EOS combo but of course there are many other frames available to suit your needs. Having tried carbon , steel, alloy and titanium I still found titanium to be the superior option. 

Another reason I chose EOS was their support, dedication to constant development as demonstrated by their ground breaking new Quattro 4 Stroke currently in final testing with dealers around the world. I have actually met the owner of EOS and found him to be extremely helpful and approachable. When I compare that to the shoddy treatment by Vittorazi of their loyal customers it seals the deal for me. I may be biassed of course but all of my experiences and choices have been based on actual experience and a lot of research!!!. If you can try an EOS give it a go, it could be the one for you. Good to be "talking" to you anyway ... stay safe and maybe one day we'll meet in the sky? ha ha happy isolation meanwhile.Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 15:50, admin (Simon W) said:

I was super happy with the EOS I got (A v1) and now so is the new owner :-) The only real issues I have noted are the pull start. (the same as most of the Atoms and 185s) which I also have one each of.

Okay, I see this, and Paul has given his thoughts quite coherently.

So at this point, the impression I get is the 150 should deliver performance roughly comparable to a nitro 200, but with less vibration, is that fair? Do you have any stats, even just top of the head impressions, comparing general reliability or service life of those two?

The advice to get hands-on if possible is sound; I may or may not be able to manage that with all models, esp fly one for test, just mapping out the terrain at this point. Atom is too small for me, so it's looking like the main contenders are nitro, 150 and maybe moster (though I don't like the extra weight, I may at some point decide I need the extra power. It'd be premature to decide something like that at this point, though.) With nitro ofc I don't get a choice of harness, frame etc, so that's a mild down side there. I've not heard anything horrible about the seat, hoop etc, but I do like choice...

Hi Ganbatte

Without proper comparison testing it wouldn't be fair to say which machine, the Nitro or the EOS was the smoother and I don't have any data. Besides which the "smoothness" of any motor will also depend on the frame used and it's attachments, the harness, vibration isolation points and so on.
As far as the power is concerned, cubic capacity would obviously indicate the Nitro to be the more powerful of the two but I have tried both; I can easily hold back the Nitro 200 on full throttle but the EOS 150 has me struggling. I have no stats for service life on either and I doubt these will be readily available or reliable as it depends so much on maintenance, use and misuse. Yes the nitro does limit harness and frame mount choice but that's probably true of most manufactured units. I know the Wasp is customizable and will accommodate other harnesses. I had an APCO harness but had trouble getting into it in flight and the build quality I found to be poor in some areas (plastic chest strap buckles broke after just a few hours) but I changed it for the WASP harness and found that to be perfect, and very comfortable.  Sorry to be not much help in this post but hope these findings help. Cheers, Paul

Huh, how did I miss that one? Thanks!

So I gather some of the design changes are as of, um, march '19 IIRC? That's more recent than I realized, and explains some of the opinions I've encountered; they mostly, I think, predate that.

Anyway, that's interesting, thanks again!