Napkin calculation/ How many pilots?

avalore

Alan, When I last heard.. AXA have almost this number (it was like 800 and something) of UK pilots insured. 

Add to that the non insured

Add to that the BHPA members

My guess would be closer to 1500. (which is about the same number as the unique visitors the PMC site has when I send out an email) 

By no means scientific of course. 

SW :D

So I just spoke to the BHPA who have 786 PPG pilots on the books. 

786 + 800 odd AXA, = 1586 

Add to that the people who are not insured by either of the two companies and that's as close a number as you can hope for :-)

It was also noted by the BHPA that it's a very steep curve. Indeed, the PMC can say the same. So a worthy exercise once a year to stay semi accurate.  

SW :D

You would hope so 😬

Interesting numbers anyway, curious to see in a years time what growth there has been.

It feels like there’s been an increase over the last year, at least locally. We’ve gone from 3 local pilots to 6 now with a few others training this year.

1 hour ago, avalore said:

We’ve gone from 3 local pilots to 6 now with a few others training this year.

Same here. I was flying on my own at Davidstow for about 3 years - now we have 14 PPG members, only 5 - 6 regulars here, but still a big growth in the last  2-3 years.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Simon's figures sound right to me. and I'd take a stab that only maybe a 1/3rd of them fly more than once a year or so.

How many folk get kitted up, insured then find it ain't for them, etc - hence the nearly new paramotors always for sale.

Certainly over here in billiard table suffolk I reckon there's about the same number of ACTIVE pilots as there were 10 years ago (6 or 7) more or less. And when I'm flying up in scotland, I get the feeling from the locals it's much the same up there - a few new ones, a few folk stopping - more or less steady numbers.

which for us in the know I'm sure you find as mental as me - why the hell this isn't more popular is a constant mystery to me - whenever I get comments on my videos from non pilots they are usually about how amazing it looks, how they'd wish they could do it, that it was on their bucket list, etc, etc.

Also the lack of young folk in the game - my youtube demographics are 100% male, with 90% of my viewers between 35-65. But if you could do this in the 90s when I was in my 20s I'd have bit yer hand off to do it.. *

Bottom line is, it would appear only a few of us as commited enough (or mad enough we should be committed) to actually go through with strapping a moped engine and fan on our backs and taking to the air.

And the selfish part of me says... long may that continue :-)

*possibly confirming my suspicions that not only are today's millennial generally useless at anything technical, they also appear to be pussies...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, powerlord said:

possibly confirming my suspicions that not only are today's millennial generally useless at anything technical, they also appear to be pussies...

Must be a bit harder core in Cornwall.  We have two teenagers constantly flying and on the other hand we have over sixties 🙂

Also, late seventies / eighties flying microlights - scary