Ready? Steady? Here we go again.

MattMc

9 minutes ago, alan_k said:

Matt I use EasyVFR for my moving map and airspace awareness. It is a free app that you update the airspace data on monthly at no cost.

If you have an old phone that has GPS you can run it even without a SIM card, so it is dedicated to PPG. The battery lasts longer that way as well. I do always carry my regular phone for communication in case I need it.

Thank you Alan I will take a look at it.

18 minutes ago, alan_k said:

Matt I use EasyVFR for my moving map and airspace awareness. It is a free app that you update the airspace data on monthly at no cost.

If you have an old phone that has GPS you can run it even without a SIM card, so it is dedicated to PPG. The battery lasts longer that way as well. I do always carry my regular phone for communication in case I need it.

I use this too. I have an old android running ppgps and easy VFR. It's a great little app :) 

Well done on your flight, must have been amazing ! 

8 minutes ago, richjones said:

I use this too. I have an old android running ppgps and easy VFR. It's a great little app :) 

Well done on your flight, must have been amazing ! 

It was intense......Great fun and a really good opportunity to push my self and learn with the support of a more experienced pilot.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well its been way too long!!
I hope everyone has had a great season. I have managed to get quite a bit of progress this year and I am really pleased.

Firstly I am proud to announce that I have achieved a Club Pilot rating!! I am so grateful to Oscar at Southwest Paramotors for all of his help! It took a while but I feel like I am on the way to being a pilot now and with a few more years I might be half good at this.

I have managed to fly from home, from a random field and from the airfield at Davidstow. I am really pleased with the way my flying is progressing but I am still aware of  some glaring need for improvement. My ground handling is way better than it was but I would still consider it to be sub standard. I need to buy a ground handling harness and get in the field more often next year. I would really like to get my pilot rating but there might be a slight issue there.....

After 15 years of asking my wife has just announced that she would be keen to move to sunnier shores. Our house is now on the market and we are looking for somewhere in the South of France. We leave for a Month in New Zealand visiting our son mid December and we would like to be moving by the end of January.....That leaves very little time to do any study and none to do the exam. I am sure I will find a solution but as of yet I cant think of a simple one.

This does of course mean that the forum will shortly have a member with land to from in a country where it doesnt rain every time the wind isnt blowing!

4 hours ago, alan_k said:

Congrats on deciding to move to France, we lived there for 10 years and the flying was epic.

However the regs and situation is a little different as you have to be registered.

I'll send my number by PM, give me a ring and I'll fill you in.

Definitely take Alan up on his generous offer.