Starting on your back

avalore

I'm looking for tips, tricks and techniques for getting a motor started on your back.
I've got a new-ish (10 hours) Power2Fly Evo 8 with a Moster 185.

I just can't for the life of me find a way to get it started on my back easily. What's everyones usual setup process?

At first I think I just wasn't priming it enough as it was even difficult to get started on the platform but that seems to be better now (still not easy though?).
Currently I'm either starting on a platform (very well secured) or relying on others to get it started once on my back - this isn't ideal though as I have lots of opportunities to fly when others don't always.
I'm not keen on starting it on the platform either as my usual site requires awkwardly passing through a gate, which I don't want to do while the prop is turning.

I refuse to start it on the ground so desperately want to figure this out, any ideas or tips welcome!

I have taken an aluminium tressle (the type with the folding legs) and added wooden blocks on the top so that when my machine is sat on it, the shoulder straps are just loose when I fasten myself in. The wooden blocks have locating bits that position the machine so that the prop cannot hit the stand. I can stand up, buckled in, with no weight on me. Thus standing warming up is easy. When ready just lean forward and the machine is just on my back.   

I have found all my different machines always start first time....once I have worked out the precise amount of priming required. You have to prime very accurately and then when find the amount that works always do it exactly the same way.

34 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I have found all my different machines always start first time....once I have worked out the precise amount of priming required. You have to prime very accurately and then when find the amount that works always do it exactly the same way.

So you think it's just figuring out the priming then it should be easier? How long did this take you figure out what's needed?

1 hour ago, grumble56 said:

Any chance of a photo? This sounds imteresting.

I need to get it out to change the piston...so will take a pick later.

2 hours ago, avalore said:

So you think it's just figuring out the priming then it should be easier? How long did this take you figure out what's needed?

Polini took 3 goes, it started easilly without being too accurate. Moster took a bit longer. It would either not fire well, then not at all (not enough prime) or be difficult to turn over (too much prime). AC Nitro was tricky until I learned that it needs 3 full seconds at full blow pressure (ie blow hard, then press prime button, then keep blowing for 3 seconds more). AC Tornado started first time every time doing what I learned with the Nitro. 

How about having the motor on your back and sitting down on the ground.  Leaning forward slightly with your legs/knees apart.

I did it this way for a time, but now I can't stand up with it on my back that easy.

Note: This was only to start it and then idle for a few minutes.  Turn it off (to test), stand up and then it should start very easy.

Now I need to sit on a bench to start it up.

Tony

• Like 1

You just need to have a play and work it out. They all have their own little quirks, I have a moster 185 plus and it is first pull 90% of the time if not then 2nd or 3rd pull.

my technique for my engine that works is to do a half bulb prime with the carb button pressed and then once the motor is on my back pull the engine over slowly for 2 compression (no point priming it if you don’t get it up in the cyclinder) and give it a starting pull.

• Thanks 1

Andy - You should get the 600 x 600 stool - looks a lot safer.

I just pump the bulb a good few times. Then quickly push in the carb button so I hear a hissing noise.

Pull the handle a few times (to get the blood pumping in your arm - lol) Pull until it bites - then pull.

Copyrighted by Clive M.  Well, nearly the same words. . . .

• Like 1

I've worked on similar diaphram pump carbs in watercraft where the common issue is hard starting and the common practice to solve it with these old 2T engines is to install a stand alone priming system (not just a bulb on the fuel feed). The priming system has it's own fuel pickup (using a T on the fuel feed/return hose) and squirts liquid fuel into the carb throat directly.   

Here is a $35 USD primer kit for a single carb: https://rivaracing.com/i-17284794-riva-primer-kit-single-carburetor.html

Hi am I missing some thing I don't mind,, just get a motor with electric start, one of the reasons I have a air conception nitro 200  and the other is the weight  just press the green button. Ps had a parajet v1with electric start and parajet could not convince me that I don't need one...both motor always started  1st time.     O yes you must blow down the primer pipe until the fuel gets to the carb.job done.

• Like 1